Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a Website

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

I was just wondering what it takes to create a website, and if you can make one from scratch while still using a free hosting service (As in put in your own HTML coding or whatever is used to create the site). I know this is a very generic question, but I kind of want to learn HTML and web design but my school doesn't really offer those courses until my next year >< I would like to create a site/forum board and keep it running smoothly. I've created my own forum before by using a free host, but all the settings were graphical so I needed no coding experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Creating a basic web site is pretty simple; hosting your own simple web site is simple enough also. Creating a forum from scratch is very difficult as it requires more than just HTML, CSS, and Javascript. If you want to create web pages, just do it. You only learn by actually writing code. Creating a forum requires more significant programming skills in languages like PHP, Java, ASP, or any other number of languages.

Are you in High School by any chance? If you are, your school can take advantage of this:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/207892/dreamspark-for-high-school/

It contains the Expression Studio, which has Expression Web, a web page editor. It also handles CSS and Javascript.

If not, you can find plenty of examples of what you want to do on the Internet.

#3 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Yes, I am in high school :flowers: I'll email that link to one of the technology teachers at my school :thumbsup:

Can you give me a basic place to start with creating a web page? Such as an interactive tutorial, or a free hosting site?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

If your teacher has any questions, let me know, or point them to the thread that I pointed you to so that they can read for themselves.

There are literally tens of thousands of sites offering HTML tutorials. Just plug "html tutorials" into your favorite search engine and click through until you find something that suits you. The way I approach a language is that I start by actually doing the examples word for word, and then I start messing around with them to see what happens. You don't need a web host to do that; there is realy no need to worry about one until you have a web page anyway, and then there are several threads here on the forum that deal with free hosts.

#5 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Once I write an HTML code into a notepad document, how do I preview it to see what it would do?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

I just saw this on twitter, thought it might interest you.
http://www.asp.net/vwd/

You save it with an .HTML extension, and then under the type, select 'all files', otherwise it will save it as a text file. Once it has saved, all you need to do is double-click on it (if you saved it properly) and it will open in your browser.

#7 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

Alright, thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users