Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot from CD drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

I am having problems booting from my CD drive. I have changed the settings to boot from the CD drive first in the BIOS and my Windows XP P CD is in the CD drive, but when I restart the computer the start-up screen just says "Boot from CD...", but never says to hit any key to boot from CD. Even though I do hit any key, it still boots up to the desktop. I have updated the BIOS since the last time I tried to re-install windows. Do you think it is a BIOS problem? I have heard from some folks about removing the battery to reset CMOS settings after a BIOS update, so I tried that to no avail. My drives are operating properly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Support Our Troops!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

What happens when you DON'T hit any key? I had the same problem once and it took me a while before I decided to see what happened without hitting a key. To my amazement, it worked and I was able to format. Might not work for you but worth a try if you haven't already tried it.

#3 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

What happens when you DON'T hit any key? I had the same problem once and it took me a while before I decided to see what happened without hitting a key. To my amazement, it worked and I was able to format. Might not work for you but worth a try if you haven't already tried it.

If I don't hit any key, it just boots to the desktop. However, the last time I tried, I decided to hit many keys repeatedly, and surprisingly enough, it booted from the cd. I still wonder why there was a change in the process. I am guessing it has to do with my recent BIOS update. Thanks for the reply.

Support Our Troops!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

The cd maybe dirty and the drive on the way out
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

The cd maybe dirty and the drive on the way out

That may be true also, but why would the boot process only display "Boot from CD..." when it used to say "Hit any key to boot from CD..." Now, it doesn't say anything about hitting any key. Anyway, I got it to work. I may try to flash an older BIOS or just wait until a new one comes out. Thanks for the help.

Support Our Troops!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users