Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer not loading on startup.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PC Service

PC Service

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hello to all,

Here is the problem.

I cold boot up the computer, it comes to the welcome screen and logs in. But windows explorer does not load. I can hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and bring up task manager and then do new task and type in explorer and then everything loads up fine.

Before I run Explorer I do get an error message saying "Data Execution Prevention-Microsoft Front Page Server Administrator Client" has closed. I click close, then it says do you want to send error report to microsoft.

When I first got the computer from the client and opened explorer I was getting a bunch of stuff poping up. One being Norton Internet Security wanting to be updated, but it couldn't because it was expired. The other program was MS Antispyware 2009. Now I knew that was a virus so I got rid of that as soon as I could first killing the process with process explorer then disabling it in msconfig and finally uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs. I have also uninstalled Norton Internet Security being that it was expired and the client didn't want to renew.

I have installed the latest trial version of ESET NOD32 and ran a full deep clean scan of the computer and came up with nothing.

I have just now backed up the clients files onto an external drive.

If I have to I can do a system restore of the computer with the CD's that came with it and restore it back to Factory Default. I figured I would try and get this problem fixed with out having to do that. The client needs to have the computer back ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hello PC Service,

The other program was MS Antispyware 2009. Now I knew that was a virus so I got rid of that as soon as I could first killing the process with process explorer then disabling it in msconfig and finally uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs.

Have you used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) program to scan your computer to ensure that MS AntiSpyware 2009 has been completely removed? The following is a self-help guide here at Bleeping Computer:

"How to remove MS Antispyware 2009 (Uninstall Instructions)":

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re...ntispyware-2009

#3 PC Service

PC Service
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

Thank you M...

I ran Malwarebytes and it found 36 infection which it removed, but not of them were MSAntiSpyware2009, so I guess I had gotten rid of it before.

Now I'm still getting the
Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows has closed this program.

Name: Microsoft FrontPage Server Administrator Client
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Close Message (Button)

Then get the message asking do I want to send to Microsoft.

Now I have to hit Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up task manager and File -> New Task and type explorer to get windows explorer running again.

So what should I do next to get explorer working right?

#4 PC Service

PC Service
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Well folks I just went ahead and did an XP Upgrade on this computer and everything is working like it should. So I'm going to consider this thread closed. Thanks.

PC Service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users