Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

discette drive 0 seek failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

hey,

ive been asked to look at a pc that wont run. its a dell PC here running windows XP home.

when I turn on the PC i get this message -

"discette drive 0 seek failure" press F1 to continue.

when i press F1 it loads to the XP loading page, then just loops and does nothing.

i have tried loading it up in safe mode, but again it gets stuck, but this time on a light blue screen (with nothing else on it).

would this be a hardware problem? the pc looks like its had a hard life (keys missing on keyboard, loads of dust inside the case, dints and scratches on the case too).

I can also get to the settings (is this bios?) but as you can probably tell i havent wanted to venture too much into this incase i really screw things up.

anyway, do you guys have any ideas?

thanks, dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Things I would do

cleaning the pc interior
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Replace the motherboard battery
Take the old one out and don't put the new one in for 10-15 minutes
Then reset the date and time in the BIOS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hi,

I have done all the above, and it's still getting stuck on the windows loading screen.

I have figured out that the diskette drive failure error was because bios was looking for a floppy disc drive, which it doesnt have, so i have disabled that in the bios setting.

Anyway, I'm starting to think I'm gonna have to reinstall windows. I have a XP disc that I can boot from and reinstall (i cant repair as i dont know the administrator password), but i dont have any documents or serial codes for the broken XP. so if i reinstall XP would i lose the XP licence?

if so, is there a way to keep that licence? baring in mind i cant even access windows via safe mode.

thanks, dean

#4 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

no one???

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

Try to disable your floppy-drive in BIOS. I have had this problem with an old pentium II and disabling the drive resolved the problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users