Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange pop up box when running combofix

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rain333x

Rain333x

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

Hello, I was repairing a computer which was infected with a virus and when I ran combofix a message box popped up and all it said was "SH*IT". Anyone ever had this happen before or know what this means? Combofix continued to run and removed the malicious rootkits and all the viruses were removed with malwarebytes. Any help would be appreciated.

-Rain

Edited by Rain333x, 20 April 2009 - 01:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

Discussion of Combofix outside of private forums is not allowed on this forum. Your topic will be closed once a mod gets here.

Edited by xblindx, 20 April 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

Where did you download Combofix from, may I ask?
If not from our site, could you provide a link?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Rain333x

Rain333x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

To xblindx: I was under the impression that this is a "private forum" Also since my "problem" includes combofix then I will disuss it here.

To Garmanma: I sent your reply to the question you've asked.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:30 AM

To xblindx: I was under the impression that this is a "private forum" Also since my "problem" includes combofix then I will disuss it here.

To Garmanma: I sent your reply to the question you've asked.

The "private" forum means the section of the forum that only mods have access to (hidden from the general public), but since Garmanma hasn't closed the topic, I'm guessing that what you are asking for isn't disallowed :thumbsup: , even though I was under the impression that any discussion of combofix in the public forums was disallowed.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

I was under the impression that any discussion of combofix in the public forums was disallowed.

Discussion pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the author of the tool does not want information on how Combofix works on public forums.
Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. That's the decision by the creator and we will abide by that decision.

However, if someone uses Combofix without proper supervision, encounters a problem and asks for help, we will try to assist them. Providing information about the problem and how to rectify is not considered discussion of the inner workings of the tool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Oh, well it is my fault then :thumbsup:, I apologize :flowers:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

I'm not sure as to the origin of pop up message. I'm not aware of CF giving such a message.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Rain333x

Rain333x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:53 AM

I am glad we are all on the same page then...pun not intended :thumbsup: . As far as that message I had never seen it before either and I thought I was seeing things when it happened. But I ran it twice and I am confident that combofix was the only thing running and the message box popped up twice each run. Also both times it popped up at a certain stages and I wish I had payed more attention to which stages it happend on I spent forever googling it but came up empty. I guess we will never know. Thnak you for your time.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

You're welcome.