Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system wont boot hal32.dll

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dan5

dan5

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

hi everyone,
so my dell inspiron 6400 notebook was working just fine this morning. now i go to turn it on and i get this message:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll
please re-install a copy of the above file"

so i put in my windows xp cd and then restart the computer....but it goes to the same screen
i go to the boot menu and tell it to boot from cd rom....but it goes right back to the Windows could not start... screen
i know i just need to reinstall that file which is gone for some reason, but how can i do that if the system wont boot from disk and wont let me get to windows?
i tried starting in safe mode and from last good configuration, both of which brought me back to that same windows message

pleasssse help.

dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dan5

dan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

uh okay so the xp cd did start now for some reason....i get to the microsoft windows recovery console
eventually i type in "bootcfg /list" (as per instructions i found online) which is supposed to give me a list but all i get is "there are currently no boot entries available to display"...

help?

#3 dan5

dan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

okay sorry for that everyone but apparently the instructions i just found online worked and my pc is back up....
does anyone know why this happened or how i can prevent it from happening again?

again sorry if i wasted your time

dan

#4 dan5

dan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

okay i hate to be reaaaaly annoying but the problem ive been having started again...it seems that whenever i turn off my computer, the file deletes itself so i get the same message asking to reinstall hal.dll

does anyone know why this is happening or how i can fix it?

please?

dan

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

it happens when during boot Windows cannot find hal.dll
reasons maybe wrong hal.dll, damaged hal.dll, wrong entries in boot.ini

Assuming you have installed Window XP on C: drive

To correct Boot.INI
Boot into recovery console and type:
Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

To fix damaged hal.dll you need to copy hal.dll from your WinXP CD. At recovery console type:
expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
Assuming d: is your CD drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users