Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GillLister

GillLister

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:03 AM

Lost all program icons and My documents from desktop on laptop.
In start - all programs - the programs are there, but want reinstalling when click on them. Worked fine yesterday, tried Restore but won't allow on any of the points.
Added ADWARE software last week and had no problems till unplugging Friday and bringing it back to school on Monday. Connects to school LAN. This morning software icons on desktop but not even My Computer,
Really need advice.
Runs on Windows XP Professional and belongs to the Headteacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes

Edited by GillLister, 20 June 2005 - 04:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:45 AM

Hmm. Sounds scary.

Try this:

* Right-click on the desktop, and then click Properties.
* Click the Desktop tab and then click on Customize Desktop.
* Put a check mark in the box next to My Document, My Computer, My Network Places, or Internet Explorer, to add those familiar icons to your desktop.

#3 GillLister

GillLister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:52 PM

Thanks very much.
Did have to put My computer etc. back on that way and then all the program shortcuts. Not sure why it happened tho.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

Maybe that's why XP is dubbed, "Microsoft's Most Persnickety Operating System." :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users