Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sasser F'd me up!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spartan1550

spartan1550

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

Yesterday I found out that I had the sasser virus on my computer. I couldn’t start up my computer without it restarting on me. I booted it up in safe mode, ran malwarebytes, and deleted all the infected files. When I restarted my computer windows opened fine, but after about 5 minutes, I had an alert pop up telling me that my audio and video won’t work unless I downloaded a new codec. Then my desktop image turned into an ad saying “Your computer has a virus click here to download program”. I didn’t. I went to reboot in safe mode to run antivirus again, and all I got was a black screen. When booting up in regular mode all I get is a desktop image, but no icons or start menu. What do I do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Don't know anything about the Sasser virus, but noticed yesterday BC has a self help removal guide that might get you started.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3097/how-to-remove-the-sasser-virus/

Then if you feel you still need further help, you can post in the Am I Infected? forum and one of the malware removal experts will help you as soon as they can. Remember, they're volunteers, so be patient.

Also, you could run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (available with regular Windows Security Patches). I see it has Sasser on its list of malwares it detects/removes. If you're up to date, you should have the tool on you system. BTW you have to log on an Admin user account to run the tool. Click Start, Run, and then type MRT in the run box to execute a scan. I've never had it find anything on my pc, so I don't personally know how effective it is at completely removing malware.

Edited by buttoni, 20 April 2009 - 12:59 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users