Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crash Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 forceheretic

forceheretic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hey all,

I just built my first computer (just over a week ago). For the most part it runs like a dream, but every so often it crashes on me without any explanation. No BSOD, no error messages, just all of a sudden I get a black screen - more specifically, I lost any kind of signal to my monitor. Fans and LEDs are still on and running - if anything, the fans louder. First guess was of course a bad monitor, but that's not the case- I've had other things going (music, Skype, etc) which also stop working when this happens. It's happened at least four times since I built it, all after having been running for different amounts of time: the first time maybe an hour, the second (directly after the first) 45 minutes or so, the next several days later (each day I was using it for at least two to three hours at a time) after being used all day, and the most recent after only half an hour or so. Best guess is that something is overheating, but I don't know what, and it could be something else. At least two of the four times it crashed while I was running Photoshop; I don't remember what I was doing the other times.

Once (I believe the second time it crashed) the monitor did something different: I got vertical green bars for about 3 seconds before it finally went down, and the music that I had playing (mp3s in iTunes) started skipping. The other times it's just gone to a sudden black screen. I'm dual-booting Windows XP x86 and Vista x64, and it has happened in both (plus once in the brief time I was running XP x64). Here are the hardware specs, all purchased on NewEgg and all having high ratings.

Mobo: 1x ASRock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI ATX AMD

Processor: 1x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: 2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Video Card: 1x SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Optical Drives: 2x Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

My processor didn't come with a heatsink, so I bought one off the shelf at Best Buy - it's Rocketfish brand.

Any help on this would be grand. Thanks friends.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Karnac

Karnac

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Check all connections.
Check monitor cable for bent pins.
Check Device manager for any hardware errors.
Use sensorview(download this) to check temperatures
All fans working
Remove and reseat your video card.
Remove and reseat your ram

Use Eventviewer to see if there are any problem after you have an incident(shutdown)...Click on System and Applications and look for errors.

Even though this is a new build you may have a flaky power supply(Swap for a known good unit and see if problem persists) that fluctuates under load.

You did remember to use thermal paste, right.

Edited by Karnac, 20 April 2009 - 10:59 AM.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

You did put a [very] thin coat of thermal compound on the CPU before you installed the heatsink ?

You could try newer video driners from ATI [AMD],

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 forceheretic

forceheretic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

Yes, I put the thermal compound on the CPU before installing the heatsink; I have the most recent drivers for all the relevant components; and there are no errors in Device Manager. All of my fans are working well - better than everything else, one might say, since they keep going even after the computer crashes.

What are reasonable temperatures for the various components? As this is my first build, I'm still learning a lot. I also don't really know what I'm looking for in the Event Viewer, either; there is a lot of information there, but I don't know what might be pointing to the crash.

I'll try reseating everything when I get home from work tonight; as this is a relatively unpredictable problem, there's no telling when or if it'll happen again. Thanks for your help thus far.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

In the Event Viewer click on Application
Under Source locate Winlogon
Double click it & see what is says.

I would remove all memory except for 1 stick & try it.

I would also go in the BIOS setup & make sure it is set to use the PCI-E [or "PEG" ] video.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 forceheretic

forceheretic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:25 AM

Nothing out of the ordinary in the Event Viewer, BIOS is set correctly, and I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic on the RAM with no results. Haven't had time to completely remove and replace the video card and RAM, so that'll be the next step.

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:46 AM

check the temps in the bios
mabye the psu not need more power?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users