Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can cut, not paste

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hyde11jean

hyde11jean

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

I know that my computer is in bad shape, however I am hoping there is some way to be able to transfer my documents to an external hard drive before wiping the computer clean.

The current problem:
Documents can be accessed within only the first few minutes after start-up. Then, everything freezes up except for the mouse, which can still move across the screen. Within the few minutes that documents can be accessed, one can copy/cut, however the “paste” is greyed out when attempting to move files to an external hard drive. Also, one is unable to slide documents from one folder to the next by using the mouse.

In safe mode, I am able to bypass the freezing up, however am still unable to paste.

Leading up to the current problem:
1. My computer was acting very sluggish, so I decided to reboot it. When doing so, I was brought to the black screen with the following:

We apologize for the inconvenience.....

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration ( your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

I attempted to start the computer in each of these modes, but the computer just restarts and brings me back to this black screen. No other error messages are given.
2. After running the Windows XP reinstallation cd, computer was running and documents were accessible, however the start-up bar was missing.

3. After a few days, the current problem arised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Try this method:

Boot into safe mode.

Access your documents.

Highlight what you want to send to your external drive.

On the left side of the page, under File and Folder Tasks, choose COPY this folder.

To do more than one at a time, hold down the ctrl key while highlighting the folders and files.

Copy box will open, select where you want the folders/files to be copied to.

Click Copy at the bottom.

After everything is copied, look at the files on the external drive to make sure it is all there.

Then DOUBLE CHECK to make sure you got everything. Don't forget to copy over your favorites folders, and if there are other users on your system, back up their files and folders.

Let us know if this method works for you.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

Can you right click on the files and then select "Send to" and then choose the appropriate place to send it to?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

If everything else fails, you can use a linux Live CD to boot from and copy contents to external drive.
Puppy Linux is suitable for this kind of work.

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

2. After running the Windows XP reinstallation cd, computer was running and documents were accessible, however the start-up bar was missing.

3. After a few days, the current problem arised.

You could try System Restore back those few days? It may fix it enough to get you through it.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users