Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

1. Defrag on my mainframe will not run, it just gives me the "Defrag won't start" I have 8% disk space (I know, its low, but I can run it on my laptop at 6%) when I try to run it through command prompt it just gives me a syntax error and shows the correct usage (it IS correct) on this computer, it is not compltely necessary that I run it now but I would like it to be run.

2. on my laptop, the speed all of sudden dropped, and I mean DROPPED, I was on face book and it just stopped moving, so I restarted, it took 20 minutes to start up and then 5 more to open the start menu, and I couldn't even open task manager to see what was going on. I threw it into to safe mode and ran virus scan, nothing, I ran defrag, it was like 90% fragged, took a week to finish, still slow, ran disk cleanup, and defrag again, still slow, and now I'm running spybot, I tried running chkdsk but for some reason it hates running, even on restart or in safe mode with command prompt (this is true on every computer I have ever used, it just says "Can't lock drive")

Edited by sausage, 20 April 2009 - 09:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

The defrag issue I am sure can be resolved by zipping some of your rarely used item to free up enough space for it to run, you could also compress the drive that would free up a lot.

I have read where Face Book has had a bug or two lately, if you Google Face Book bugs you may be able to fix it, the other option if that does not help is to get Superantispyware and Malwarebytes and run their scans to dee if you may have picked up something.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

How exactly does facebook destroy your computer??? it has been slow for over three weeks (and spybot turned up zip)

#4 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

Ok, so, for some reason my fingerprint scanner driver destroyed the CPU (I think) I rolled it back and now it works :-) but due to freaking out at low CPU I shut off all startup crap so can someone give me an extended list of how my services.msc menu should look? I only need the basic stuff because none of it is how it should be... also can I see a pic of the startup and services section in msconfig?

#5 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

1. Defrag on my mainframe will not run, it just gives me the "Defrag won't start" I have 8% disk space (I know, its low, but I can run it on my laptop at 6%) when I try to run it through command prompt it just gives me a syntax error and shows the correct usage (it IS correct) on this computer, it is not compltely necessary that I run it now but I would like it to be run.

The NTFS file system needs a minimum of 15% free space to allow for defragmentation.

One way to recoup storage space is to disable system restore, reboot, then enable SR again if you wish.

#6 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

Well, funny thing about that... chkdsk says the file system is nfts but when I schedule it for restart, it says its FAT and can't check it... plus, whenever I run defrag on my laptop at 6% it just says in order to run properly defragmenter needs 15% disk space would like to run it anyways, this one just says defragmenter won't start, even when I just click analyze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users