Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 2000 Holds Printer Settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 r1ckym

r1ckym

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

I am having a problem with Excel 2000 holding onto Print Driver settings from the previous user that created or edited the document.

Our users are set up to print to mailboxes on several MFD's, this works fine except from when printing in Excel. The document ends up being sent to the wrong mailbox, that being the user that had created or last edited the document.

I have been looking up on this for the past few weeks and have found no soultion to this.

There is an Microsoft Knowledge base article providing a hotfix on this, but it is for Windows Me and less.

The machines we are having the issues with are Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 elnikoff

elnikoff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

I'd try this :
  • Change the default printer to a different printer.
  • In Excel, open the workbook that is experiencing the problem.
  • On the File menu, click Print.
  • In the Print dialog box, click Cancel.
  • On the File menu, click Save.
  • Reset your default printer to the original one.

If that does not work, maybe some Auto open macro, setting the printing settings right could be used. This can eventually be linked to user-specific data located in registry or file. You could also explore code samples for VBA reading default printers settings with system API.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

When I click File/Print in excel, I see a dropdown of printers, so I can select whatever printer drivers were installed on the computer. At the office there is a bunch, at home just one that can connect. So I don't think it has to do with the previous user. Can't you select a printer in that dropdown?

#4 r1ckym

r1ckym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

First of all thank you for the replies

Elnikoff, It is various workbooks I am having problems with, we are coming across them every now and again, I will try this with one and if it works then will instruct users to do this. Your other suggestions are a bit too advanced for my knowledge at the moment but will be looking into how to do this.

tos226, the correct printer is selected when we go to print in excel, it's the mailbox settings that aren't being picked up from the user printing, its printing to the mailbox of the user that created the document.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users