Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serial port COM B

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:17 AM

on my mother bored
theres a port for Serial port COM B
what can i plug into this kind of port?
i was thinking a other usb bracket thing lol
and
say you got 2 usb ports in the front of the computer ok
and they are connected to a port on the mother bored called Front panel USB connector
does the mother bored need to support 2.0 speeds or the front usb bracket need to support 2.0 to get 2.0 speeds

hes what am talking about
http://estore.asus.com/shop/imageview.asp?...4-000500020.JPG

Edited by starcraftmaster, 20 April 2009 - 05:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

A second serial port was only useful if you used a serial mouse, and wanted to use a second serial device like an external dial-up modem.

For the USB ports on a bracket to provide USB2, the motherboard header must go to a USB2 controller.

Edited by Platypus, 20 April 2009 - 05:39 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

For the USB ports on a bracket to provide USB2, the motherboard header must go to a USB2 controller.

so i need a new mother bored for usb 2.0 or buy one of those usb pci cards ? damm lol

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

Just grab a USB card. I have found most of them to be the same performancewise. Only thing to keep in mind is what kind of internal USB connection is on the card. Most have a regular USB port, some have the pins so you can connect a case's front USB port.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users