Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hooking up two sources to one audio output device?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 K-Pock

K-Pock

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Hi! :thumbsup:

I'm currently running my Xbox 360, and my PC through the same monitor, and I've got that part figured out. My problem now is that I have one set of speakers, my X-530 5.1 set for both devices. What I'd like to be able to do is have a way for both my 360 and my PC to be connected to the speakers, rather than me going behind the computer and unplugging the speakers, and swapping them to the 360 each time I want to change devices.

My X-530s have an adapter that I'm using for 3 3.5mm jacks (Yellow, Green, Black), so it's the same cord for plugging into my 360 and my PC. I bought some splitters from Monoprice (1 Male > 2 Female) and have attempted it that way, but for some reason my PC seems to be overriding the audio from the 360. I can have both running, and my PC will always play, but my 360 won't make a sound unless I physically turn the PC off, or unplug the cables from the PC. I even tried disabling the sound card through the Device Manager.

Any ideas how to get around this? Or is there another solution I might try? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi K-Pock

Your best bet is to go to your local electronics store and either:

A) buy a ready made audio 3.5mm jack switcher (there are auto models and manual, id stick with manual as your pc seems to override the other input a press of the button is simple enough)

:thumbsup: buy the components to make it yourself and find a schematic online, its a pretty simple piece of wiring that just switches the live wire of the output to the correct input, where the negatives stay permanently connected. (you could possible get a double pole switch which switches both live and negative)

I would point you in the right direction but im in the uk so the stores i would recommend would not be valid in the states. But they should be pretty easy enough to find.

Hope this helps!

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users