Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloaded XP update-display problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lwwhistler

lwwhistler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

I recently downloaded three windows updates through the windows update site which is linked to the windows autoupdate software. Unfortunately, I realized, too late as usualy, that is was a BAD idea as windows XP updates seem to be inherently unstable and poorly programmed... or they just disagree with everything else on my computer.

Anyway, I'm running Windows XP.
I downloaded updates for the monitor (hp pavilion mx703), for the nvidia graphics card (geforce 4 mx 440), and an update supposedly to fix an error message "generic host proces for win32 error"

After restarting the computer no longer allows me to return to anything higher than minimum display settings (680 x 400 and 4 colors... I think, but last time I opened the control panel the whole thing crashed so I'm not going to try to find out right now.)

I suspect there are probably also viruses on this machine so I'm not really sure where to start.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated... last time I got help through this site I used some kind of diagnostic program extensively, but I don't remember the name of it... it listed processes that were running. I had no problem handling that so if someone reminds me of the name, I am capable of that... it was windows something-or-other I think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:57 AM

I'd suggest you use System Restore to go back to a time before you installed the updates. Then clean out your malware. Try the following :-

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Also
A-squared complements anti-virus software by specializing in detecting Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. It is free for private use but registration is required.
Download it from here: A-squared

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

If that cleans the malware out of your system, make a restore point called "Clean" or similar. Then try installing the windows updates again.

If you cannot remove the malware using the above tools we will advise you further.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 20 June 2005 - 12:59 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 lwwhistler

lwwhistler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

I had already tried using a system restore point, but I tried it again for the "fun" of it. Neither time worked. System restore didn't give me any reason why... "it just failed to make any changes to the computer" or something like that.

I'm already running spybot, adaware and spyware blaster, but I downloaded a-squared, so I can try that too.

Also, one virus that I'm sure that I got came through Instant messenger program... I didn't realize until after I downloaded it that my friend did not intend to send me the link... I didn't open the file, but I would assume that it could self-open and Trillian no longer works now (although AIM continues to function normally)... presumably because of that virus. I don't know if this could affect the display settings, but it might...

thanks for all of your efforts!

I'm also running norton anti-virus and firewall, both are current, though I will check for updates.

Update: For some reason the darn thing has started refusing to do anything involving internet.

I restarted in safe mode and ran all the spyware/adware/virus programs (norton antivirus, adaware, a-squared, and spybot)

For whatever reason while in safe mode I can view in "medium" color but only 800 x 600 resolution... and I CAN access the internet in safe mode, but not normally.

More bleeping computer fun...

Edited by lwwhistler, 20 June 2005 - 11:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users