Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista laptop connected and booted an XP off network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:50 PM

I have a specific issue that I just can't get figured out.

Wireless network at a church. 4 desktops (3 PCs w/ XP and a Mac) are all hooked to the Linksys wireless router through a Cisco 24 port switch. Wireless network is encrypted 128 bit WEP. There are at least 3 people that I know of that bring their laptops and get online wirelessly. We brought another one in (an MSI VR420 with Vista Home premium) and put the WEP key in and it connected with no problems. (This laptop is known clean of viruses and spyware unless there is something new out there that 5 different programs miss completely).

HOWEVER, the XP machine that was on the desk in the room we had the laptop in immediately went off the network. A guy was on it checking email and pretty much in the middle of downloading emails from the server, it said the server is unavailable.

Now, with this PC, I have checked all the basic network settings, verified the TCP/IP was set to get everything automatically, ran netsh winsock reset catalog and netsh int ip reset reset.log from the command prompt. I unplugged power from the router and switch, plugged in the router and waited a minute, then plugged in the switch. Rebooted the affected PC after nearly every change that I made. All I get is the little yellow triangle symbol on the network tray icon saying there is limited or no connectivity.
I accessed the router from another PC to verify its settings. Found nothing out of place. I got what IP addresses were being used at that time, and I manually set the PC's IP address to the next available one. When I set the network settings manually, the Local Area Connection icon in Network Connections shows that it is connected and firewalled. (I've tried killing both the installed and Windows firewall too). Even though it shows as connected, I can see no other computer on the network and I CANNOT access the router from that PC nor can I access any web page. It always comes up as the page cannot be displayed.

I'm reasonably experienced in networking but I will freely admit that I know far from everything. Does anyone know why connecting a laptop to a wireless network would kick another computer off the network? Especially one that is wired to the network?
My next step is to put a new NIC card in but I just don't believe in coincidences that are as unlikely as this.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

Wireless router could be set to only give out X number of address. Once you go one over that its going to be ugly since it will start kicking the oldest address out and assigning it to the new computer.

I would also check to make sure that the two computers do not have the same computer name. This can cause a conflict in the networking seeing 2 of the same computer even though they are different.

An IP conflict is also possible, but not likely with all that you have done.

I would lean toward same computer name on both systems (would be really funny if that is the case).

I would also check device manager and make sure that the NIC drivers are installed and that nothing is wrong with the NIC itself.

Just a few thoughts, let us know if this helps (im tired and going to bed or I would mention more....)

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Sorry, I forgot to post back. I tried everything I could come up with. Denied the entire time that the ethernet port went bad. Put a new network card in and it booted right up, installed the driver, and got right online. Just a big stinking coincidence after all.

Thanks for the help though.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users