Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A great way to drastically increase download speeds.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

Theres a wonderful tool out there called cablenut.

Basically all cablenut does is set paraeters for your internet in your registry. If used correctly you can greatly increase your download speeds.

My download speed increased from a measly 13kb/s-30kb/s to 160kb/s-200kb/s

Heres how you do it:

1. go to cablenut.com and dowload your free copy of cablenut

2. Once cablenut is installed and downloaded navigate to the directory you installed it in.

3. Open the folder called css

4. Find your way of accessing the internet
56=dialup(sbc....etc)
satellite=satellite internet (sbc....etc)
cable=cable internet (comcast, sbc.....etc)
adsl=dsl (sbc...comcast...etc)

5. Once you click on the folder you will see a couple of executable files, this part is important. Now click on the folder of your operating system with the word fast in it.

For example im running windows xp, sbc yahoo dsl, so id choose adsl_fast_2k
Someone running 56k dialup, on windows 98 would choose 56K_9x

6. After you double click your file, the cablenut adjuster will open up with the values of your specified speed filled in. All you need to do is click save to registry at the bottom left, then exit after that.

7. Reboot your computer

After you reboot you will expirience the joy of drastically improved download speeds.

If theyres any questions or problems pm me or just reply to this thread.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

Will it work with Windows XP?
Thanks

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

If you are using SBC/Yahoo DSL, you should never have gotten such slow speeds initially. 160kb/s-200kb/s is about normal for regular SBC download speeds, without using any additional applications. I am wondering if that increase was caused by cablenut, a change to an improper installation of the SBC connexion, or something else.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 June 2005 - 09:52 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

Does this modify the connection in any way, making it unstable/not reliable?

My download speeds on RR have fluctuated between 200kb to 3.0mb a second (i actually jumped up and down at the 3mb a second event.....)

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 20 June 2005 - 09:53 PM.

#5 TEB

TEB
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:41 PM

To answer your questions

1. My connection speed is so horrible i guess because we live in a bad area, i dont mean my connection is bad just my download speeds. Comcast was horrible we constantly had disconnections, tv didnt work so well when we were and the internet and vise versa, the sbc guy left the wires sticking out of the side of our house and the dog chewed them, and it took them 3 weeks to send a repair guy out. So we went to sbc, wich was very fast connection but poor download speeds. And we run a wireless router and its cant be faultily set up because ......:whistle:I did it :thumbsup:

2. This does not make the connection unstable in any way, all it does is increase the transfer limits in your registry.

And now, i did some registry tweaks...some network tweaks..configured my router.
And now i get around 1.5-2.0 mg/s downloads

Edited by Techsomething, 20 June 2005 - 11:42 PM.

#6 daboywonder

daboywonder

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

will this work with applications like limewire and bittornado?

#7 kr042505

kr042505

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

thanks for the tip!

#8 TEB

TEB
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:19 AM

day-boy:

It increases the rate at wich files are allowed to be downloaded onto your system, so yes you should notice a difference. But for apps like thos you need to have your router/firewall configured for best access.

#9 daboywonder

daboywonder

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:27 AM

Techsomething, do you have XP and a cable connection? can you tell me abouth those registry tweaks you used to get 2.0 mg/s. thanks

#10 TEB

TEB
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:29 PM

I have xp, and use a dsl connection. For mine, we had a bad isp then switched to sbc with got us better internet, but it wasnt as fast as we were paying for. All i did was run cablenut, double click the css file. double click the asdl file, double clicked asdl_fast_2k it opened cablenut. I clicked saved to registry because everything was already entered in. Then rebooted and enjoyed my fast download speeds.

For you though I think you would double click cable_fast_2k.ccs

#11 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:28 AM

Hi All,
I also use the cablenut adjuster. I run XP and use Qwest 1500/786 DSL. When I first downloaded the app. it contained just the four basic connections with normal and fast registry settings.

There is also an update available that covers just about all of the connection types and speeds that are in use today. Of course my configuration wasn't listed in the update, but if you read around the forum you will see that the default tweaks that were added are just baseline suggestions and are meant to cover a broad selection of ISP configurations.

I actually had to uninstall the app. then install it again cause I had tried a couple of different DSL tweaks and found out that you should only run one of those particular programs by it self.

If you run more than one your performance might actually go down quite a bit. The reason is because those programs make changes to the registry and when more than one program is trying to tweak the same reg. key,there is a conflict.

As far as I can tell it won't damage your system,but if you have more than one I suggest Uninstalling all of them and picking one to use and make sure to look over the "Read Me" file that comes with it.

If you choose cablenut, get the update and save it to the same folder as the original app. Choose the ccs file that is closest to your configuration and save it to the registry like normal. It backs up the registry before making any changes so if the ccs you choose just kills your connection it is real easy to change it back to normal. Make sure to Reboot after any teaking, even if it is just one character in one box.

After setting it up visit the forum and go to the "Tips And Tricks" link on the left side of the page in the menu. This will explain how to get your post looked at.

I have went through the process several times and have this advice. Click on the link that it provides for doing speed tests and pick the location closest to you. Before clicking "start" (at the speed test) make sure you clear your Temp. Internet files. You need to run ten tests in a row so you will need to clear the temp files before clicking start every time.

After each test, you will be redirected to a horizontal graph showing your results. Jot down the Downs/Ups for each test. When all ten tests are done pick the five best results and average them out.

Go back to that tips and tricks page and do the TCP/IP test. Copy/Paste it and post it in the Cable and DSL Broadband section in the General Information Forum. Make sure to include your OS and Your Internet Service configuration. Also include the speed average info.

It is an open site so don't make any Reg. tweaks that someone suggests unless you are sure they are trustworthy. The mods. and Adms. are obvious but watch your back.

When they respond to your post they will have you click on this link:
{http://j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php} after you enter the values to your tweak, you might check out these app. that are located at the bottom of the page.
* Faster page loading
* Disable DNS Caching
* Increase Buffer

I use them all and have noticed positive results: especially if you have a Hosts File like "Hoster" or "MSMVP Hosts file" cause the hosts file shouldn't be any bigger than 180KB or else there is a drain in performance about every 25 minutes. The Disable DNS Caching is an easy way to fix that problem by doing exactly what it says.

I scanned all that stuff for infections and they are all clean. Hope this helps Unfortunatelly I had to learn the process the hard way but now I know Whats up and am glad to pass the knowledge on.

Almost forgot, My connection went from an average of 780dn/640up to 1160dn/760up. Occasionally I see the down around 1500 but normally it stays around 1160.

Have Fun,

nosnhoj#3
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#12 Eluzion

Eluzion

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

I did this, and my download speed hasn't increased at all, and my downloads barely ever finish, alittle help?

#13 TEB

TEB
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:16 PM

Are you sure you followed the directions correctly?

setting an incorrect configuration will impact your internet settings.

Whos your isp, and what speed are you at?

#14 eastcoaststylee

eastcoaststylee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:35 PM

I've got a really dumb question but here it goes... how can you tell what your ccs settings will be according to your modem... all i know is that my modem is an efficient networks speedstream 5667 and my service is from my local telephone company atlantic telephone membership corporation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users