Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download problem (still)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zuko

zuko

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

Operating System: Windows 98. My computer is a Compac Presario 5301. I attempted to upgrade my system with Windows 98SE and after I put the CD in, a popup appears that, in effect says: the CD-ROM says that it contains a newer version of the one I am presently using and would I lie to upgrade to the new version of Windows now and of course, I clicked on yes. Then it goes on to check drive C and the setup is preparing the setup wizard after which I get a popup that says my computer cannot be upgraded by this version of Setup and that I need to obtain the Windows 98 upgrade. Im lost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:37 AM

:flowers:

You may need to do a reformat and clean install.

Just make sure you save all your Data first? You will lose it all otherwise. Also make sure you have all the Drivers for Sound Card, MotherBoard and Video Card on hand first. Download a Startup Disk for WIN98SE and put it onto a Floppy Disk from here if you don't have one.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

:thumbsup:

#3 zuko

zuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

System Windows 98 (probably OEM). I'm trying to download Windows 98SE and end up with Message SUO168. I'm following the fix to replace SetupX.dll with the correct version of my current install media.
Question : Is my current intall media drive D if I'm using a CD-ROM? After that, there are 5 steps to follow: 1. Place my CD in the CD-ROM drive - Question: before booting or after booting? 2. From a command prompt, change to your CD-ROM drive letter. - Question: If I get to the command prompt via holding down Ctr Alt and resulting screen that shows C:\>, how do I change that to the D drive? The following 3 steps are moot, since I have to solve notes 1 & 2 first. Thanks for any help.

#4 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

Question : Is my current intall media drive D if I'm using a CD-ROM?

It varies from computer to computer, but usually if you only have one partition on your HD (C:), then the cd drive is usually D.

Place my CD in the CD-ROM drive - Question: before booting or after booting?

If you are booting from cd, place the cd in the computer and restart the computer. Otherwise, if you're only going to use command prompt WITHIN windows, then you can just put your cd in the computer and use CP.

2. From a command prompt, change to your CD-ROM drive letter. - Question: If I get to the command prompt via holding down Ctr Alt and resulting screen that shows C:\>, how do I change that to the D drive?

I believe you type "cd [drive letter]:\", eg " cd d:\ " (without quotes).

#5 zuko

zuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

OS Windows 98. Since, I'm told that the problem that I'm having downloading Windows SE is because I'm trying to dowload over an OEM Windows 98, so I'm wondering if I just wiped out the OEM version, then could I download the SE. The SE CD that I have is for PCs without Windows. Now that brings me to the next question and that is how can I get rid of the OEM Windows. It doesn't appear on my programs list. Z

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

format ?
lol wait intill some one else says some thing i may be wrong lol

format ?
lol wait intill some one else says some thing i may be wrong lol

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:39 AM

Reformat will do it, but make sure you save all your Data or it will be lost.

Reformat removes EVERYTHING on the HDD that is in C: Drive, so save your Data else where first. Either Burn it onto CD Disks or removable Drive, or USB Drive or even temporarily onto another HDD set up as a Slave Drive.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Can you post back into just this Thread?

Starting new Threads just confuses the whole issue, Mate.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Format is not advisable at this point.
Could make it WAY worse!

We need to wait for the original poster to respond before making any decissions
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users