Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD & DVD-RW Drives causing BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Auntie Am

Auntie Am

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Several weeks ago, tried to burn on DVD-RW. Got a BSOD (PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA). Burner locked up, drive kept running, light kept blinking - never burnt the disk. Re-started computer. Same thing over & over, differnt types of disks, different files. Attributed it to bad drive & contemplating buying another.

Then today, tried to read a disk on my regular CD drive that I've read many many times (my Corel Clipart disk) & another BSOD (this one told me to run CHKDSK/F).

Apparently neither drive is working properly - any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

Try following the suggestion...but run chkdsk /r by

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter.

Type Y in response to screen query and hit Enter.

Reboot the system and let the chkdsk run to completion. The system will reboot when the chkdsk is complete.

Louis

#3 Auntie Am

Auntie Am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Will try that right now. Thanks.

#4 Auntie Am

Auntie Am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

Ok, ran chkdsk. CD drive read a disc. DVD-RW tried to burn a disc but just hangs w/ 5 secs. left. No BSOD yet - but imagine when I cancel this burn it will start again.

#5 Auntie Am

Auntie Am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

BTW- this is a Dell Dimension E521 w/ AMD Athlon 64 Processor, Windows XP (my computer info. says XP Pro but I have Media Center Edition - strange). The problem drive is my secondary TSSTcorp DVD-RW. The primary drive is a Sony DVD.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

If one burner works properly, while the other doesn't...I would guess hardware failure.

I would try switching the motherboard connections on each drive...and I would also check Event Viewer errors for any indication of a disk failure/problem. If there is one, it will indicate Disk0, Disk1, etc. as the problem. If you see ATAPI in the description/data...that's an optical drive.

If it was a software problem...it should impact both optical drives.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users