Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At random times I can't open any programs or services

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 havrelm1

havrelm1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

Usually when I leave my computer for maybe 30 mins, an hour, whatever, I'll come back and I can't open any browser (IE8 or firefox), no services work like ctrl+alt+delete, and when I try to open a program my computer hangs and must be restarted manually since start/shutdown hangs too.

I have tried the following already in safe mode:

Full deep inspection virus/spyware scans with Zonealarm Internet Security
Malware bites anti Malware scan
AVG free scan - complete system scan
ATF Cleaner
Rooter
OtListIt
CwsShredder

Nothing was found through anything except temp files from ATF cleaner. I have the logs and can do new ones if anyone needs anything like that. Thanks!

Edited by havrelm1, 19 April 2009 - 03:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

Sounds like this could be an overheating problem. Are you able to take the side of the case off and have a look inside? If the dust bunnies inside have grown into Rabbits. Its time to give the computer a good cleaning. Have a look at this tutorial. Also while the side of the case is off turn on the computer and make sure the CPU heat sink fan is operating properly. If your not comfortable opening your computer case you can download a free copy of SpeedFan and take a look at your temperatures.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 havrelm1

havrelm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

I forgot to mention when I run my other install of XP for pro tools I don't have this problem as described above, but here is some more info on my system and the speedfan readings.

This is my most recent computer I built a couple years back. I'm almost to the point of re-formatting and starting over, but I just GOTTA know what is causing this! Here are a few of the main components I have in her right now, with the newegg links for any specs that may be needed, also have 3gb ram setup in 2x512 and 2x1gb, all ram cards are the same brand.

MSI K9N SLI Platinum AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO3800CUBOX
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
XFX PVT73GUGD3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
Thermalright HR-05-SLI Copper Heatsinks only - Retail

SPEED FAN readings:

sys fan idle 1383rpm
cpu fan idle 1740rpm

gpu: 52C
local: 43C
remote: 32C
system: 44C
cpu: 39C
aux: 39C
hd0: 40C (160GB main, 2 partitions)
hd1: 46C (160gb)
hd2: 36C (160gb)

I have a hd3 as well, that is not listed in the temp screen, which is a WD 80GB.
HD 1&2 are both the exact same segate models.

I have also run CHKDSK on all hard drives, some small free space things were fixed, but the problem remains.

I've run Sisandra Lite 2009 burn in tests and everything passed.

Edited by havrelm1, 20 April 2009 - 08:17 AM.

#4 havrelm1

havrelm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

Today I turned on my computer and right away I couldn't open anything, for example, when I try to open internet explorer or firefox, the hourglass on the mouse cursor pops up, then goes away. Even If I try and click START/Shutdown, nothing happens either, and I have to manually shut it down. Talk about frustrating! :thumbsup:

Right now it's working fine, but that can change any minute.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

Edited by havrelm1, 22 April 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:34 AM

Virus, Malware, Spyware?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 havrelm1

havrelm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

Read my original post for a list of everything I have done already. And I set every scan to be as complete as possible, I have spent HOURS on scans, all find NOTHING of course!

Now, I am running in safe mode, my comp all of a sudden wants to take 5 mins to load the desktop, then when it comes up, immediately I can not open any internet browers, ctrl alt delete doesn't work or any other services like msconfig won't open. When you try to do something, the hourglass comes up on the mouse like it's going to open, then NOTHING. And the same remains when I try to go to start/shutdown, the window where you can choose restart/shutdown doesn't even come up.

I don't know what else to do, besides re-format, but I don't want to, I need to know what is causing this crap. It will drive me crazy to just re-format without knowing what the issue is. :thumbsup:

Anybody?

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

I apologize for missing that in your first post. Staff members here are VERY busy please be patient with us and we will help you as best we can. Your temperatures seem to be ok. Please download and run Memtest you will need to burn it to a CD/RW and reboot your computer with the CD/rom drive as the primary boot disk. Run the short test first and if it passes run the long test.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

To the OP: I don't know about your approach...but I think that the best reason for a reformat/clean install...is the fact that...all other options for the knowledge you seek...seem to be exhausted.

No one understands...in retrospect...every possible computer error situation....it's impossiblel because no human can account for the possible bad programming, damaged files...or possible hardware errors.

I almost forgot about the possibilities of malware damaging files or dumping on your system.

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#9 havrelm1

havrelm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:24 AM

I apologize for missing that in your first post. Staff members here are VERY busy please be patient with us and we will help you as best we can. Your temperatures seem to be ok. Please download and run Memtest you will need to burn it to a CD/RW and reboot your computer with the CD/rom drive as the primary boot disk. Run the short test first and if it passes run the long test.

It's cool, I wasn't mad or anything, I know it's very busy over here and have tons of respect for all you members that help and run this!. I'll run those memtests and see what I come up with.

And to hamluis, I am the type of person where if there is a problem (not just computer related), I NEED to figure it out, otherwise I lose, if that makes any sense. That's why I haven't re-formatted yet. I have seen other people posting the same/similar problems I am experiencing here as well, and If we can get this pinpointed and fixed, it may help others, so I guess I am trying to help in the long run as well by sticking with trying to figure this out. :thumbsup:

#10 havrelm1

havrelm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

I did get a memtest error on test #6, somewhere in 83%, and I ran it again just to make sure and got an error in the same spot.

Now, I just need to know which RAM card it is. I have 4 cards in my pc, 2x512 and 2x1GB setup in dual channel. Is there any way to tell from this screen? At the test it was testing 2048-3072, and I believe my cards are installed 512, 1g, 512, 1g because of the dual channel, so it's gotta be the 2nd (last of 4) 1g card?

Posted Image

Edited by havrelm1, 24 April 2009 - 10:28 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

IME, the only way to tell which slot errors appear in (assuming that you are running more modules than two)...is to either test in pairs or switch pairs around.

When I had my RAM situations, I started with two (I had six modules that were questionable). When errors appeared, I switched those two around...to find out whether it was the module or the slot.

I continued this pattern of testing...until I realized that the system/slots seemed to be the problem.

I then looked for variations between the modules when used in the system...discovered that timing differences existed.

Modifying (slowing) my bus clock eliminated the problem for that system.

Louis

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

I personally cant tell from the read out. It does look like their slightly overclocked. The timings look pretty relaxed. I would go with Louis recommendations. First remove the 2 1 gig sims and test the 512 see if it passes if it does, then remove the 512 and test the 1gig sims in the same slots, If it passes add another sim populating only one if the second dual channel slots, Keep adding moduels untill it fails. If it fails the first test, remove one of the 512 simms and test the other to determin which one is bad and so on.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 havrelm1

havrelm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

I will do the tests as described and post results.

Also, my motherboard has "dynamic overclocking" which is disabled. The timings on the cards are 5-5-5-18 according to newegg where I bought them:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211064

But memtest shows 5-6-5-18? Could that be an issue? Regardless, I'm still going to run the tests as you guys outlined and post back. Thanks for all the help so far by the way!

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Those timings are actually slower than the stock timings. They are running at 402 instead of at 400 (DDR-800 = 400x2). Shouldn't cause problems though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#15 havrelm1

havrelm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

I ran all the cards through the first slot, no issues, then one 512 through the other 3 slots no problem, then I put all 4 cards back in, but this time in a 1gb, 1gb, 512, 512 order instead of the previous order 1gb, 512, 1gb, 512, and let the test run all night, ran 11 passes no issues.

I also noticed now TODAY my cooling fan on my vid card stopped working, speedfan said 86C, so I put my pci cooler right under the vid card and it's keeping it at 60c until I can get that fixed.

Let's see if she still locks up.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users