Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista repair

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andjen

andjen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hi, my first post here so please be gentle!

I think I know the answer to the following question but I'll ask anyway just in case I'm wrong.

I've just read the tutorial 'How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair' because my friend has got problems with his Vista startup and (for some reason) he's asked me for help. The tutorial makes reference to using the Vista disc but unfortunately my friend hasn't got his disc.

Is it possible to use my disc i.e does it check the Product Key before allowing you to use the Repair options? And also, does it make any difference that my disc is for 64 bit Vista but my friend's system is not 64 bit?

Andjen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

If they were the same bit version of Windows you could use it but because they aren't you won't be able to use it, Otherwise it would have been fine, It doesn't check for a Product Key, it just checks the registry and other important system files and repairs or replaces them if necessary.

If you have another friend who has a repair disc for your friends 32bit Vista then you can use that.

It might also have to be the right version as well in terms of Vista Basic, Vista Premium or Vista Ultimate but because I haven't needed to use it before I don't know exactly on this last point.

#3 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

Aside from 32bit versions and 64bit versions, all discs for Vista are identical, the version you end up getting installed (ie Basic, Premium, Business, Ultimate or Enterprise etc) depends entirely on the product key that is entered. There is an alternative though (2 actually):
Microsoft Tutorial on Startup Recovery Options
NeoSmart Download of Vista Repair DVD (not an installation disc, just a Repair Disc)

I hope I've been helpful :huh: .

#4 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:05 AM

Aside from 32bit versions and 64bit versions, all discs for Vista are identical, the version you end up getting installed (ie Basic, Premium, Business, Ultimate or Enterprise etc) depends entirely on the product key that is entered. There is an alternative though (2 actually):
Microsoft Tutorial on Startup Recovery Options
NeoSmart Download of Vista Repair DVD (not an installation disc, just a Repair Disc)

I hope I've been helpful :huh: .

Great Info, I hope I never need to use Repair! I bought Vista Ultimate. I like your signature too.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 andjen

andjen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The answer seems to be as I thought so I've got hold of a Neosmart Vista Repair DVD.

Andjen

PS Up the Blades!

#6 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

Ok Andjen :huh:

PS Up the Blades!

You obviously know Sheff United aka Blades, are playing now against Burnley.

So either you are a fellow Blade, a Wolves fan wanting us to beat Birmingham to the other Auto Spot, Or a Preston or Swansea fan who are trying to catch Burnley up and hoping for the Blades to beat Burnley. Too bad we are losing 1-0 at the moment :huh: :huh:

Edited by woodyblade, 20 April 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#7 andjen

andjen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Woodyblade,

I live in Sheffield and am a Blades supporter (although I hardly ever attend matches).

Andjen

#8 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

Well last reply from me on this before we get it closed for going off topic

Same here I hardly ever attend matches, been to 3 home games this season and watched the 3 or 4 we've had on the TV, They played pretty poor tonight too one dimensional just lacked that bit of creativity and edge to get a goal, then again they have never been known for there silky skills :huh:
Looks like we will be playing the Lottery that is the Playoffs this season, Lucky Brummies.
I'm just afraid that this form is beginning to drop off they ended our 11 match unbeaten run and the 15 away games unbeaten run as well, we didn't play too well against Forest last Monday either.

Anyway nice to know another Blade is here :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users