Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Morrowind Setup Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BabehJesus

BabehJesus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:40 PM

I had been on hiatus from Morrowind for quite some while (upon viewing the control panel, more on this later, it said that the last time I'd played it was some time during 8/04), so I decided to start playing it again. I put in the disk, and I click the 'play game' option among play/options/uninstall/etc. Morrowind is quite a large file, and it lets you know exactly what files it's loading at the bottom of the screen. However, when I loaded it this time, there was a weird tan space where the files' names should have been.

When I finally get to the gameplay menu (new game/load game/options/etc.), instead of hearing the normal music, I hear an obnoxious beeping that only a computer could make. Furthermore, I couldn't click on any of the options, so I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of the game. I try to load the game again, but to no avail.

My instinct tells me to uninstall and reinstall the game. I open the control panel, and after choosing the uninstall the game, it tells me that there is a setup file missing, and is unable to proceed with the setup. I try uninstalling through the start menu, but I find the same error.

Don't get me wrong, Morrowind is chock full of errors, bugs, and glitches. However, I came to the conclusion that this wasn't just a problem with Morrowind. After all, how could it have been? I hadn't touched the game for ten months. Being my stupid self, I delete the whole folder, and just as I'm removing the files from the recycling bin, I have a change of heart, figuring it probably isn't the best idea to do so. So I restore the files, or so I thought. The folders are there, but they're completely empty.

So what do I have? I have a bunch of empty folders on my computer, and as the cherry on top of my sundae of frustration, my computer doesn't recognize the CD, and doesn't prompt the installation screen (which I'm assuming is because I deleted the files instead of uninstalling them, as there are still traces in the registry).

I've done searches with Spybot as well as McAfee (Ad-Aware and Norton have both been recommended), but something tells me it's not a program. I could very easily be wrong, but I installed another game 2-3 months ago, and there have been no dramatic changes on my computer that I know of in the last 2-3 months, except for a network card replacement.

Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BabehJesus

BabehJesus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

Okay, I decided not to make a new post, because I think these problems may be related.

I made the original post a day after I noticed the Morrowind problem. Fast forward, I go to camp. Two weeks later, I come home. I try playing Magic Workstation (a program used to play MTG over the internet), but there's a file missing and I can't create a game. I try playing Counter-Strike, and I can't join any servers.

I'm pretty sure there's a virus, or maybe a worm on my computer, eating away at files. I don't have very good virus scanning programs, and I scan frequently, but they don't detect anything. I'm seriously considering a hard drive wipe, as opposed to a system restore, because there's so much crap on my computer that I don't use, and it would kind of be nice to be rid of it all. Can anyone help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users