Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Motherboard - Avoiding XP Activation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stitchup

stitchup

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi guys

I want to replace the motherboard in one of my PCs. The PC is installed with a genuine XP Pro.

I suspect that when I replace the motherboard, I'll be prompted to re-activate. Is there anyway I can get around this?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bernie K.

Bernie K.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Go here for instructions
Freedom is not FREE
Semper Fi

#3 stitchup

stitchup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the link

Cheers

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Remember though. This won't work for transferring activation information from one computer to another or if you alter the hardware because the information contained in your "wpa.dbl" file will not match the configuration of the computer. This trick is only for reinstalling Windows XP on the exact same computer after formatting the hard drive. There isn't any legal way of getting around this. Microsoft is very forgiving with computer repair/Upgrades just call them they will re-activate it I have never had a problem with a legal copy.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 stitchup

stitchup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:46 AM

Thanks Chad

I'm hoping to purchase an identical motherboard so I can use same processor etc etc.

I have a 5 user licence of XP and the problem is I don't remember which computers I've installed which licence on. I know MS usually don't quibble but I just wanted to avoid having to reactivate - It's no bigee either way.

Cheers

John

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

I can understand that sometimes the person on the other end of the phone is hard to understand and the automated system never seems to work correctly.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

I don't think you need to activate if you have Volume License Key (VLK) for Windows XP.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

As long as 7 out of the 10 tracked hardware pieces are the same as when you first activated it, you should not have a problem.....

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

According to that article, swapping the wpa files won't work after a reformat and clean install which I think you have to do when replacing the motherboard although I am not sure about that, especially if you replace it with an identical board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users