Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Company of heroes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 keithy

keithy

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

I've had Company of heroes for a while, I've played it now and again (single player.
thought I would try the next level Opposing Fronts.
When I installed it, it began to download patches, which took forever until the last patch which was a download helper, from then on that is all it does, try to download the same patch everytime I start the game,
Is there no way of just playing the single player? am I missing something? can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

Are you letting that patch install itself?

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi
Yes the patch installs itself and runs the relic downloader, however when I try to start the game it tells me it needs to download a patch, after downloading the game asks if I want to install the patch so I hit yes, the the repeat thing happens, if I bypass it tells me I'm not online?

#4 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for your help, I managed to download all the patched with Utorrent and installed them, the game is working now, thanks again.

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

That's good to hear. You did download them from an official source, right?

Of course, I should shed some light on something about that before some people jump the gun as well as other advisories about using p2p file sharing programs.

When using P2P software, please be advised that this can cause a severe security risk. Not only that, but there's the fact that some of the worst malware can be embedded when downloading something. There's also the legal issues behind torrents as it bypasses copyright laws on software/entertainment/etc. Not saying that everything is infringing on the copyright as there are some things where torrents are used in a legal manner.

As for the other people: He did use torrent software to download patches, but assuming he got it from a legitimate source (companyofheroesgame.com), they're also distributing their downloadable patches through torrents. Why? I don't exactly know why. The site used to have the .exe's be downloaded, but I recently went back to the site to see where they're at for patches and found that they're downloading through torrents (of course, I can speculate). It's been a while since I did anything with the game, but it may hopefully be simple to find the answer as to why they did change to torrents.

In the end, it's usually advised to not use P2P software.

I'm sure I missed something somewhere in what I'm saying, and such....shutting up.

UPDATE: Okay, I did a little digging into the switch to torrents. Relic changed over to torrents in the hopes to have distribution of downloadable patches be sent out faster for the most part (and it probably saves them money on bandwith and such...or something like that. I don't know all of the technical details about it). Of course, there have been ups and downs with this method as I have found mentioned on their forums. They do offer for the raw files as well if you'd rather not use torrents. The below site has links to other downloading vendors that'll let you download raw .exe's instead of having to use torrents if you prefer it that way.

http://community.companyofheroesgame.com/b...ownload-options

Of course, like I said, it's been a while since I played Company of Heroes (as I had to uninstall it from this computer due to performance issues and the fact that, with the recent stuff, my comp BSODs :flowers: ).

Now I'm shutting up.

(LAST MINUTE NOTE: I hate staring at dark backgrounds and having to come back to a lighter background only to have my eyes burn....:thumbsup:)

Edited by scff249, 21 April 2009 - 06:55 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users