Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows welcome screen wont come back

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattalicious

mattalicious

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hi all,

A friend of mine had viruses/spyware on his computer that, along with other things, changed his welcome screen to the classic windows logon. Well, I cleaned the system for him but the welcome screen is not back. I check in the user accounts in the control panel and the check boxes are set in the "uses windows welcome screen" and "fast user switching". The system shows clean from malwarebytes, kapersky, bitdefender and mcaffee but still no welcome screen on startup. Just the classic prompt for username and password.

Any ideas on what to look for next? Is there aservice needed for the welcome screen or perhaps a file that is missing that it needs?

Thanks for the help!!

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mattalicious

mattalicious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Nevermind guys. I figured it out. The logonui.exe file was renamed to logonui.exe.manifest

In case this was done buy one of the antivirus programs because it was infected, I deleted it and copied over the logonui file from the service pack directory. All is workning now.

Matt

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for posting your solution :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

THANK YOU FOR GETTING BACK.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

Actually logonui.exe.manifest is also needed. It is manifest file that keeps various information about the executable.

I guess your logonui.exe was missing in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users