Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

? Need Cooling Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hi, I need some advice on cooling my system.

Itís not overclocked. Iíve made plenty of room inside (rounded cables tied aside, etc). Iíve tried putting a whole bunch of fans (including 3 120mm fans on the side of the case, several 80mm ones on the front and back, etc.) Iíve tried using Arctic Silver VóIím sure that the cheap Startech stuff worked better though! The system is sitting on my deskís hutch, up in the middle of the air with plenty of space all around it.

Yet, the CPU still runs hot all the time and the motherboardís thermal system kicks in (sounding an alarm and throttling the CPU for a while). Itís really frustrating. Iím lucky if the CPU runs less than 50įC when idle, and the mobo is up over 40įC.

Iíve stopped most of the fans since the temps are about the same whether they are running or not (although the noise certainly is not). I make sure to dust and oil the fans so that they are running nicely, and I have tried them blowing in and out.

Iím at the end of my rope. Summerís coming and I wonít stand a chance at using my computer at all if I canít figure out some way to cool it. I canít afford a water-cooling system (although I am really interested in building my own, but thatís just a fantasy).

Iíd really appreciate any help. Thanks.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

What CPU do you have ?

On the fans,

You can have too many fans as well as not enough.
Depending on their placement they could actually be preventing the CPU fan from getting cooler air.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Synetech

Synetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Itís a plain 1.7 P4 (478).

Yes, I tried to make sure that the airflow was straight, but the air is hot no matter how I arrange them. I considered making a little heat-pipe type thing (those little round sleeves built into the case that go directly on the CPU). However Iím not sure how that would workósuck air out right, not in?ósince the CPUís cooler has a 60mm fan blowing air onto it.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

A Pentium 4 1.7 should run fairly cool.

Being a P4 1.7 I imagine the heatsink/fan has been installed & never removed for a while.

My opinion is that the thermal paste between the heatsink & CPU has dried out & lost a lot of it's heat transfer ability.
If the heatsink/fan were removed, the CPU & heatsink cleaned, & fresh thermal pasted applied the temp would probably drop a lot.

The thermal compound that Intel supplies on their heatsinks is garbage.
It dries out & gets hard.
Once that happens the heatsink sticks to the CPU
Unless the heatsink is pretty warm when it's removed it tends to literly rip the CPU out of the socket often resulting in bent CPU pins.

The trick to that is use the unit until it's warmed up real good , shut it off & immediatly remove the heatsink.
I usually run unit with the case already open so the heatsink doesn't have a lot of time to cool off before I remove it.
Being very familure with the process I can usually get a heatsink off before it gets too cool.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Synetech

Synetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Actually, I got a tube of Arctic Silver V about a year ago to replace the generic Startech paste I was using. I used that for the CPU and north-bridge, and both have been running hotter than in the past (which wasnít exactly too cool to begin with).

(I used the put a long-grainórice-sized drop in the middle and let the heat-sink spread it by pressure method.)

-- Synetech

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

I have tried many brands of thermal compound.
I have been using the "Silicone Base Heatsink Compound" from Radio Shack for years.
I have found it works as good as any & better then some.
As a bonus since it is nonconductive I don't have to worry about it if I accidently get a little on the motherboard [unlike Arctic Silver].
I spread a very thin coat on the CPU & install the heatsink.

#7 Synetech

Synetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Nevermind, I got an answer from someone elsewhere.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users