Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with loading linux

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newbie2643

newbie2643

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

I bought a used PC that supposedly had the os removed, but when I boot it up, I get the Win98 splash screen and it goes directly to the c: prompt. I had a cdrom/dvd added in place of the cdrom and know I need to install the driver to get that working. Can't get it to the usb drive although I know it is seeing my flash drive.

How can I load the driver for the cdrom/dvd?

THanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hi there newbie2643! Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

So, you're trying to install a Linux distro on this used PC, right? If I'm hearing you correctly, you want to install from a USB flash drive but it's not working.

Let me know if the above is correct and we can go from there. (Also, what distro are you using?)

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

First, the 98 splash screen.
It sounds like the drive was formatted to FAT32 using a Windows 98SE boot disk.

On the installing Linux.

In order to install from a USB flash [jump] drive with no other OS installed you need to have it set to boot from the USB first in the BIOS.
Not many older computers had that option.

Your best bet would be to DL a ISO of the Linux you want, burn a CD, & install from it.
You will need to go in the BIOS setup & set it to boot from the CD drive first.
If you make a "live" Linux disk [like Ubuntu] you can boot the disk & run Linux without installing it.
Once you have the disk booted there should be an option to install Linux
During the install select "Take over the whole disk" .
Linux will format the hard drive the way it needs to be automatically.

[If you decide to remove Linux the easiest way I've found is to boot a XP disk & simply delete all the partitions on the hard drive]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users