Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 and AVG

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ruprect

Ruprect

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

Hi there, I have IE8 and AVG antivirus on Win XP SP3 and a lot of the time random web pages will simply not appear - the page stays completely blank (white) with just the little spinning wheel at the top.
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it was possible a problem with AVG not completely supporting IE8 yet, but in any case that doesn't fix the problem I'm having!
Has anyone else encountered this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

which pages? I'll try and repro for you.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

I also vaguely remember reading some topic on one of my usual tech forums about AVG & IE8 issues. I'd check over on AVG forums. If this is the case, no doubt the topic has come up amongst their users. Maybe they've come up with some temporary workarounds. Here's a link to the forums:

http://freeforum.avg.com/

For the specific pages that won't load, you could try clicking the IE8 Compatibility View icon (up at the top of your screen, torn page icon) and see if your previous version of IE will load those pages. Not all websites are compatible with IE8 yet. Worth a try.

Edited by buttoni, 19 April 2009 - 10:50 AM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 Ruprect

Ruprect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hi there, thanks for the replies so far.
Which pages? Any and all, at different times. Even google! There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. At the worst case I can't get any pages at all for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it will come good again and I've done nothing to intervene.
Sadly, the Compatibility button has no effect.

#5 Ruprect

Ruprect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

Follow up: The link to the forum posted was most helpful. Somewhere in there it suggested to completely remove AVG along with everything it had stored in its vault - a complete wipeout basically, then download the current version and install. That would have seem to have fixed the problem - that is, it's been running prefectly during the course of the day, but I'll definitely jump back on here if things go pear-shaped again!

#6 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm glad you found a solution. :thumbsup: Keep your fingers crossed. I'm a firm believer in going to the software company's forums for help with their products. Invariably they've already dealt with most incompatibility issues by the time we users notice issues. :flowers: Glad to be of help. And thanks for posting what you did so it may help others get there a bit quicker.

Edited by buttoni, 20 April 2009 - 04:41 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#7 Ruprect

Ruprect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

I have bad news. After 3 days, the problem is back - exactly as before.
I suppose I could wipe out AVG and re-install it again, but it seems to be a 3-day solution!!!

Any ideas?

#8 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Then your problem might not be AVG at all. As IE8 is so new it is highly likely that certain web sites you are visiting are just not compatible with IE8 yet. You indiicated some websites render OK for you and the problem is random. THAT is more likely the problem than your AVG.

Since Compatibility View feature didn't resolve, you might want to post an inquiry over on the MS IE8 forum for some help. MS MVP's or a very knowledgeable member will assist as soon as they can. It may just be a 3 day "coincidence" on the AVG efforts. You may just now have gone to your first website that isn't compatible with IE8. Here's a link to the IE8 forum. BTW you have to have a MSN .net passport or Windows Live ID login to post there. But that is free (good on all .net/WindowsLive sites). Just click the Windows Live ID link on the Sign-In page to set up.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...ng=en&cr=us

I read some posts over there that say Google Toolbar and Yahoo Toolbar can cause problems with IE8. If you have one of those, you could uninstall and see if that resolves.

Else, could you post a link or two to a couple of specific websites that won't render for you so I can try to go there and see if I get the same results? If it won't for me either, than I think this is the problem. I'd be happy to run that test for you.

Edited by buttoni, 24 April 2009 - 04:28 PM.

#9 Ruprect

Ruprect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

I'll try to make a list of affected websites from now on as I go, but I don't think it's any particular website that's the problem.
First of all my home page is set to google.com and sometimes even that doesn't appear - but *any* other of my favourites won't appear at all if I click on them whilst that problem is occurring. I just have to close off IE and open it again a few times - sometimes just a few times but occasionally heaps of times - before it finally decides to behave.
Also I have noted that for example a page won't load in a new tab but will appear if I copy the address and paste it into a "working" tab.
The other thing that I can add is that at least 3 other friends of mine are experiencing the exact same things, all on WinXp running IE8 and AVG.
Again, just to clarify - it's not that *certain* websites don't appear, the situation is that *any* website will at any given time (seems to be random) simply fail to load and I have to close off IE8 until it wants to behave again.
Outside of these "problem" times, any and all websites load quickly and flawlessly.

Note: I could simply ditch IE8 and use another browser but I'd rather isolate and fix this problem.

#10 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

It definitely sounds like a conflict between IE8 and something. If I were in your shoes I'd post over on the IE8 help forum at the link I provided above. I think they may be able to help you. Sorry I wasn't able to resolve for you and no other members have offered any thoughts on this problem. I did read on the IE8 forum people should be sure their AV's are compatible with IE8 before installing. I did not see this caution before installing IE8, I run Avast Home free edition antivirus and have had no problems using IE8 at all when I tinker around with it. But FX is my default browser.

Edited by buttoni, 24 April 2009 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users