Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:01 PM

My computer...Win98... constantly freezes, not as much now since I've installed PC protection, but it still freezes whenever I am scanning with Spybot S&D, so I can never find out the scan results and fix any problems my computer may have. Actually I'm not sure if it freezes, hangs, crashes...I don't really know the difference. But the computer completely stops, not just whatever systems are running, but the mouse 'freezes', the keyboard doesn't work, and the only thing I can do is press the restart button. I was wondering if there is something I can do to fix this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

Try running Spybot in Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode .

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

Ok, I'll try that. Anything I can do to stop my computer from freezing in general?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:50 AM

If you can't pin it down to something specific that you are doing when it hangs, then it most likely is an overheating problem. Download and run EVEREST Home Edition v2.01. If your motherboard supports it, it will tell you the various temperatures where the sensors are located.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:00 AM

I can't read the instructions on how to run my computer in Safe Mode...whenever I click on the link, I get a message that says 'Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site......Operation aborted'. Then a 'cannot find server' page comes up...

Now, I can't view the SpywareBlaster tutorial either. It does the same thing. What's up with that?

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 21 June 2005 - 03:32 AM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:49 AM

When you first turn on the computer and the monitor comes on the first screen, start tapping the F8 key and continue to do so until the screen stops at a black and white menu. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press enter. Your screen resolution will be very low but this is normal.

Could be some type of malware blocking those links. Do you also have adaware? If so, run that too. You won't be able to update these programs in Safe Mode, but run them anyway.

#7 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:16 PM

I was reading both tutorials the other day and I didn't have any problems, only now do I get the error message.

I run Adaware almost everyday. My computer never freezes when I'm running that program, only Spybot. I finally got through the Spybot scan by stopping the scan at the spot where I knew it usually freezes, and deleted whatever problems were shown. Then I ran it again to fix the rest of the problems, and it didn't freeze up. It's usually when Spybot finds something Alexa related that it freezes.

I will make a note of the Safe Mode instructions incase Spybot starts acting up again.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:18 AM

It's usually when Spybot finds something Alexa related that it freezes.

That is a registry entry. Do you have something running in the background that protects the registry from having any changes made to it? Spybot's Tea Timer does that, but I don't see it conflicting with Spybot.

Now, I can't view the SpywareBlaster tutorial either. It does the same thing. What's up with that?

Have you ever posted a HiJack This log to see whats going on with your machine?

Edited by Leurgy, 22 June 2005 - 07:23 AM.

#9 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

Do you have something running in the background that protects the registry from having any changes made to it?

I don't think so...

Have you ever posted a HiJack This log to see whats going on with your machine?

No, I've never used HiJack This. I think I might have to...I suspect something or someone has gotten into at least one of my email accounts, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users