Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Is my hard drive failing!!?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elpantalla

elpantalla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

In december I bought a Western Digital 160 GB external hard drive. It has been working beautifully up to this morning. I opened iTunes and it was showing that several huge chunks of songs could not be found. I navigated to the folder within my hard drive where I keep them, and I saw this:

Posted Image

Corrupted files, ugh. I ran the WD Diagnostic tool and it told me there was nothing wrong with it. I am currently in the process of wiping the drive and putting everything back on. Do you think my hard drive is doomed to fail soon, or is it just a case of some corrupted files?

A couple other folders scattered through the drive were corrupted also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

I remember really old viruses that really chewed up data.
I'm suprised they are not around so much anymore.

did you run C:/chkdsk /f at the command prompt?

It will ask to schedule at reboot, answer yes.

See what that does. Looks like corruption.....

OR.........

try renaming one of the weird files to something normal.

you need to be showing file extensions, because it looks like that was changed too. (tools/folder options/view/uncheck hide extensions for known file types

if they were mp3s, rename one file test.mp3 and try to play it. I don't know what extension they were.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 18 April 2009 - 09:35 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 elpantalla

elpantalla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

I ran chkdsk it said it's fine.

I wiped the disk and I reformatted and I'm going to put some things on it and see how that goes.

#4 ACS Data Recovery

ACS Data Recovery

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

With all the problems we see with MyBook drives, I would be cautious, and maybe think about buying another drive to use as a redundant backup. In other words, just keep your MyBook backed up to that extra drive. However, in saying that, stay away from the newer Seagate 7200.11 drives at this time.
Greg
Doing THIS For A Living

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users