Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C Drive not fixed anymore?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 winsordawson

winsordawson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

For some reason my fixed C drive is now, in the last couple of days, called a removable drive. Also, the following message appears when I shut down my Windows 98 Compaq:

"Your machine's C drive is not a fixed drive, vital information for Real Mode DOS Games Support could not be saved."
I don't even know what a Real Mode DOS Game is!

Then, two consecutive messages appear as startup is finishing:
"Unable to create Hibernation File. There needs to be an uncompressed FAT partition on physical drive 0 for hibernation to work properly."

"There is not enough disk space for the Hibernation File on drive. 0 bytes are required [PW25]."

I never knew my computer could hibernate!

Is there any way I can make my C drive fixed again, and get rid of these messages?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

wow.

Are you low on disk space? If so do a cleanup.

Did you install something that compressed system files?

The only restore feature with win98 is to boot to dos, than type scanreg at the prompt (it's either that or regscan)

this feature can restore your registry back a few days if you choose a backup reg.

If it does not work, you could run it again and restore the previous one. write down the name 1st.

win 98 can be rough when things go wrong.

I would wait to see if you get more replies first.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 winsordawson

winsordawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the help.

I don't think I am running out of space because my c drive says I have 2.27 GB free.

I recently installed 7-ZIP, but I only used it on a file; I didn't fool around with it.

Thinking about it, the file I downloaded was a small program that supervised my drives (which I downloaded so I could eject my CD/DVD drive, which was a seperate problem, now fixed). Maybe it ejected my c drive (although I don't see any visable differences)?

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

Could be......
Try uninstalling/removing the ejecto program, reboot and see what happens.
You can always install it again.

7zip is harmless.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 winsordawson

winsordawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

I already deleted the program, only about 15 minutes after I first installed it.

And I have Windows 98SE, if that makes a difference.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:46 AM

Did you Delete it, or uninstall it, Mate?

Some leave residuals behind if you just delete them.

:thumbsup:

#7 winsordawson

winsordawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

I don't think it was that kind of program, which was listed on the Add/Remove list. It wasn't on the list, even know I only deleted it by putting it in the recycle bin and emptying it. I remember that the size of the program was shown in kb, so it couldn't have been that large.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:17 AM

Have you recently updated motherboard chipset drivers? Some latest hard disk controller drivers (specially from NVidia) treat hard disks as removable device.

#9 winsordawson

winsordawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

I was going to update my driver, but when it told me the update was from an unknown source, I decided not to.
Is there a way I could show my computer that its drive is fixed? I have a laptop, so yes I can take out my c drive if I want, but in that case why would my computer all of a sudden called it removable and give me these error messages?
Thanks again.

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

Is there a way I could show my computer that its drive is fixed? I have a laptop, so yes I can take out my c drive if I want, but in that case why would my computer all of a sudden called it removable and give me these error messages?

Well in Win98SE if you right-click on My Computer and select Properties in the Device Manger tab click the + on Disk Drives that will show all drives available. If you have a Floppy drive and a Flash drive installed those will be shown as drives. Double-click on your main drive and in the Settings tab make sure that the Removable option isn't ticked and make sure your DMA is ticked. If the DMA isn't ticked you will be asked to do a restart. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

:thumbsup:

From a Master, Mate.

He has forgotten more about WIN98 than we all know.

:flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 19 April 2009 - 11:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users