Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Altacocker

Altacocker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:16 PM

I reinstalled XP on the C drive and naturally wiped out all the program files which I have on that drive, those I have reinstalled. I also have some programs on the D Drive which are not now recognized by Windows. Is there a way to force windows to recognize them or is reinstall the only way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:09 PM

On a default machine, d is usally the cd drive....so unless you never ever took the cd out of that drive there nothing installed there.

Or unless your hard drive is partitioned and you lettered it d:\

anyways i would go with reinstalling whatever is on d

#3 Altacocker

Altacocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

The hard drive is partioned C and D

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:36 PM

now are they not recognized by windows in a sense that they wont run when you click on the exe target? or do they not show up in add/remove

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

When you install programs, there are many entries put into the Windows Registry. When you install programs on a second partition and then re-install the operating system, the Windows Registry no longer has entries for those programs. You will need to re-install the programs on the second partition as well.

In the past, I used two partitions but only put data on the second partition so that it wouldn't be lost when reloading Windows.

#6 Altacocker

Altacocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Thanks guys
I will go ahead and reinstall the programs. It won't be to bad as I save all my EXE files on the D side. I just moved MY Documents there also, I lost it this time.

Herk
It all makes sence with your explination I should have thought that through myself.

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:08 PM

When you install programs, there are many entries put into the Windows Registry. When you install programs on a second partition and then re-install the operating system, the Windows Registry no longer has entries for those programs. You will need to re-install the programs on the second partition as well.

In the past, I used two partitions but only put data on the second partition so that it wouldn't be lost when reloading Windows.

You dont need registry entries to run applications, only for a very few. Producers of games do this where if the registry key isnt there the game wont run, so by the chance the game is pirated it wont work.

Or for some apps like wintasks, c cleaner, and norton

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

When you install a program, different system .dll (dynamic link library) files are "registered". The program tells the dll's what files it needs in order to run and the dll's are assembled such a manner that they pass instructions to these files concerning when and how to run in order for the program to function.

When you reinstall an operating system, you overwrite these dll's and they now longer have the specific information required to run your program as they are in effect "unregistered". This is especially true if your program files are on a different drive.

Installing a program also writes information to the registry concerning the location and type of dll's and other system files required by your programs, so it is actually a combination of an overwritten registry and rewritten dll's and system files that cause your programs to stop running. Installing a program can cause a system file to be altered or updated and reinstalling the OS reverts the files back to their original state making them incompatiable with your program.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users