Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Inability

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jlsheetz

jlsheetz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Hello to all, and thanks ahead for the help. I searched in the forums for this problem and could not find it, but if I am repeating something that someone else recently brought up, please forgive me.
I have an HP computer that is a couple of years old running Vista (basic edition, I believe). I am on dial-up, which is all that is available to me (but at least it's slow!)
I have run into a problem with Internet Explorer. When I try to surf, I will get a message that states that Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. No matter what site, this happens. When I click on Diagnose Connection Problems, it tells me that whatever site I tried to see "...is not set up to establish connection on port 'World Wide Web service (HTTP) on this computer." It tells me to check the proxy settings, but I think this is just misdirection because I'm on dial-up and not on a network. I had the foresight to install Firefox, and I can surf with that with no problem.
Apparently this has affected Google Earth and Windows Media player, which I assume uses Internet explorer. I haven't found a way to change this, but I think that once I get Internet Explorer fixed, this won't be a problem.
When my one-year subscription to Norton 360 ran out, I didn't renew it, because 360 irritated me. I tried the McAfee virus program, but didn't really get excited about it, so to the best of my knowledge, I uninstalled 360 and the Mcafee program, and downloaded Avast, which I really like. It seems that about this time, IE quit working, but I can't swear to that exactly, since I had been using Firefox.
I'm not a computer person, but would any of you have any ideas about this problem that I might be able to understand? It is frustrating to say the least, but I hate to just go buy a new computer.

Thank you very much,

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I uninstalled 360 and the Mcafee program

i believe you need to use the norton removal tool. not sure about mcafee. somebody else will know more.
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
good luck :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

I agree. Norton remnants may still be blocking connection.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

this is McAfee removal tool
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...oval-Tool.shtml
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#5 jlsheetz

jlsheetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far...I just hope I can find the disk that Norton 360 came with, so that I can find out the code. I can't open 360 since I partially uninstalled it.

Jim

#6 jlsheetz

jlsheetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Well, folks, I tried the removal tools and removed Norton 360 and Mcafee, but I still have the same problem. Any other hints?
Thanks,
Jim

#7 ewrlopa

ewrlopa

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

From Internet Explorer

Tools
Internet Options
Connections
Lan Settings

make sure proxy is NOT selected

DAmon

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

Reset Internet Explorer settings

#9 jlsheetz

jlsheetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

OK, I reset IE to factory settings and made sure LAN was not checked, then closed IE and reopened it...and I still have my problem. Thanks to al of you for trying. Any other suggestions?

Jim

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

Read through You receive an error message in Internet Explorer: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users