Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin acct has no admin privileges XP pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hello most excellent group!

My friend across the country got an XP pro box as a gift, and I cannot get admin privileges.
I just wanted to create a new account for him with admin privs, but when logged in as administrator,
the interface is not there to create a new account (behaving like a user account).

I do not know the history of this PC, but I think there have been security restrictions put onto the admin account.

Is there an easy way to restore the default security policy in XP? Or at least a way to remove the restriction on account creation with privs?

This is a new one on me.

It's easy to tell me to re-install, but he is a fairly inexperienced user who can't handle that, and he's 3000 miles away.

Any clues out there?

I was gonne A:B the local users and groups settings with my pc, and review security policies too.
Not sure where to find these controls. I just want it to behave like a normal XP pro box admin account.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

There should be an admin account with full rights that was created when Windows was installed but it is usually only available when booting into safe mode. When safe mode starts, he should see an admin account and his account. Have him select admin and then go to control panel, user accounts. There he should be able to set up accounts and change the rights on existing accounts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users