Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

I have installed Internet Explorer 8 but have a small annoyance with the process taking a while to close after exiting the program.
  • If I open the browser (with no tabs open) I find two instances of iexplore are started.
  • I find that when I close the browser, one of these processes is instantly shut down
  • However, one is not. It takes about 4 seconds to close, with the cursor circle thing (Vista) going round. The memory this is wasting is ~3700K.
Has anybody else experienced this? Is this a known bug?

I googled this for a while but didn't really get anywhere. I can upload a video of this if anyone wants?

Cheers,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

While waiting for an expert to reply, you could do a search over on the Microsoft IE8 Newsgroup and see if the topic has come up. Seems like I vaguely recall reading a forum thread there about someone with duplicate instances of IE8 opening there a week or so ago. I have IE8 and can confirm it's not happening to me.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...ng=en&cr=us

Edited by buttoni, 19 April 2009 - 10:03 AM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

Cheers, I'll post in there too.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

Found a couple links to discussion of multiple instances of IE8 for you. I rarely use more than 2-3 tabs at a tiame, but I can see this would be problematic for power users with 8-10 or more open. Might max out available ram and crash the browser totally.

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technol...sk-manager.html

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...p;sloc=&p=1

And a discussion about Loosely-Coupled IE that came up in one of the threads:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/2...eliability.aspx

Edited by buttoni, 19 April 2009 - 07:50 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#5 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:11 AM

Thanks,

I've now read through quite a lot of literature now and it answers the two processes even for just the one tab. But it still doesn't answer the problem with the time taken to quit. Here's a link to my topic: here

The problem is not with having multiple tabs - it's with having just one open! Lol. Typically when I browse, using FF, I do have plenty of tabs open but I did read that IE is supposed to do some balancing acts with the amount of processes it actually opens compared to the amount of tabs. So some tabs will be grouped into one process.

#6 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

FWIW, I've even noticed sometimes it takes Firefox 3.0.8 a few seconds to close totally down. And if I reopen it too quickly, I get the dreaded "Firefox is already running" when it is NOT showing in my Task Manager process list any longer. A few seconds later, it will open fine without the "already running" message.

Maybe that last poster on the MS Newsgp forum referring to it taking a few seconds to close all handles, etc hit it on the proverbial nailhead. This slow exit seems to apply to BOTH browsers and the real issue may be Windows XP, not IE8 or FX. :thumbsup: We live in such a fast-paced world, we want everything instantaneously. I've about decided that computer software and OS's just may not be able to always accomodate. :flowers: We want more and more features in our software, but often we forget we pay a price for new, cool features: speed. :trumpet:

Edited by buttoni, 20 April 2009 - 04:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users