Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! I don't have a start menu

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jrv

jrv

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Now, if my other problems aren't enough, my desk top is not showing the start menu & I can't even get to anything.and the bar at bottom of desktop is only showing the clock , the hardware removal & the volume icons on far roght. the rest of the bar is white. I can , however click on any icon on my desktop & they work. (I have BC on my desktop)
what's going on??? Please help.

forgot to say that all my icons on desktop are high lighted in blue. But they wrok. also, when i am on my home page, the page has changed conpletely as to my tool bars, favorites, etc. they are Not where they used to be.

Edit:Removed unnecessary quote from post 2 to allow for merging first two posts. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 20 April 2009 - 08:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

Try something simple first-reboot your computer.
Since you don't have a start menu, you'll have to use the back door in order to reboot.

Place your cursor in the white area at the bottom. RIGHT click.
If presented with a menu, choose Task Manager.

If no menu, place your cursor in the empty space to the RIGHT of the clock, RIGHT click,
choose Task Manager.

When Task Manager opens, at the top click on Shut Down.
Use the Restart option.

OR if you have a reset switch on your case if you use a desktop, use it.

After the system reboots, check your desktop and see if Start Menu shows up.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 April 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#3 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

Thank you Queen-Evie, but I have done that several times, no luck.

Edit: Removed unnecessary quote. ~ Animal

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

If that doesn't work, you could try a system restore back to a time to just before the issue started.

Are there any other user accounts set up on your computer? The easiest way to do a system restore would be from another user's desktop.
Provided that user has a start menu.
Just in case:
Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
Follow the prompts, choose a restore date. Your computer will reboot.
After reboot, the restore will either be successful (and if it is hopefully your start menu will now show) or you will get a message it was unsuccessful.

If you don't have access to a start menu, bring up Task Manager.
Applications tab.
Click New Task at the bottom.
Type in restore. Click OK.
When the Restore folder opens, click on the rstrui icon-it looks like a monitor with a clock and a green arrow.
Follow the prompts as listed above.

Let us know if it works or not.

#5 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

I can get to the task manager by pressing Ctrl, Alt, Delete & it wiil come up , but when I click on it to open, NOTHING happens , it won't open.

Edit: Removed unnecessary quote. ~ Animal

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Restart your computer, boot into safe mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Run system restore from there.

(it's possible that the start menu will be on your desktop while in safe mode, you could check but if it isn't, you'll have to reboot again to get to the admin desktop in safe mode)

#7 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

Well, here i am again, same problem but even more now. I can't see my AVG antivirus on the bar, so I managed to somehow figure out how to get the sartup menu to show, but there is nothing on it eacept "All programs" & Log off & shut down. so i went to all programs & the apperanece has changed but all is still there. I clicked on AVG to open it & it will not open. Also went on internet to see if i could down load it again & it won't let me down load ANYTHING.
I also mamaged to restore to a few days ago, & that din't help.
Thanks for any suggestions or coments.

#8 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Somebody PLEASE help me w/this. I have tried to down load different things to repair but it won't let me download anything at all.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

Try this from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#117, on the left Restore Taskbar and Start Menu.

Click on it, save to your desktop.

Open it from your desktop. Click RUN.
Click Yes when asked if you want to add the information to the registry.

Your statement about not being able to download anything concerns me. In your post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/220213/downloading-music/ you mention Limewire that your granddaughters installed on your system. It is possible that you could have an infected computer because of it.

Since I am not a malware removal expert, I am going to ask that someone who is take a look at your issue. One of them will provide more insight than I am able to.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 April 2009 - 06:23 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

Since there is a possiblity that you may be infected:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#11 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Try this from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#117, on the left Restore Taskbar and Start Menu.

Click on it, save to your desktop.

Open it from your desktop. Click RUN.
Click Yes when asked if you want to add the information to the registry.

Your statement about not being able to download anything concerns me. In your post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/220213/downloading-music/ you mention Limewire that your granddaughters installed on your system. It is possible that you could have an infected computer because of it.

Since I am not a malware removal expert, I am going to ask that someone who is take a look at your issue. One of them will provide more insight than I am able to.

Thanks. I opened the link, but when I clicked on the fix (#17) it for one flash , tried to open but wouldn't.
It is possible I got a virus , BUT I had my anti virus up to date & scanned every night.

#12 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Since there is a possiblity that you may be infected:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Again, I try to down load, I see a flash , then nothing, nothing will download. Especially something good that might help.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Plan B.

Using a different computer, download MBAM.
Burn the .exe file to a cd OR copy it to a flash drive.

Try to install from the cd or flash drive.

It's recommended that you update MBAM definitions before running it. If you cannot get the definitions to update, run the scan. Reboot if needed, then try to update. If it updates, run it once more.

If you cannot get it installed, change the name of the .exe file to something else.
Example, fred.exe
Whatever you use to rename it, just make sure you include .exe in the name.

edit to add: I have to leave for a while. Do what you can and post back with results, problems, or concerns.
A malware removal expert might see this topic, and one of them can continue to help you.
In order for you to be sure you are receiving qualified help, please read this, particularly paragraph 3. Even though it's in the Am I Infected? forum, it applies here with regards to instructions and who is helping you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 April 2009 - 11:27 AM.

#14 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Plan B.

Using a different computer, download MBAM.
Burn the .exe file to a cd OR copy it to a flash drive.

Try to install from the cd or flash drive.

It's recommended that you update MBAM definitions before running it. If you cannot get the definitions to update, run the scan. Reboot if needed, then try to update. If it updates, run it once more.

If you cannot get it installed, change the name of the .exe file to something else.
Example, fred.exe
Whatever you use to rename it, just make sure you include .exe in the name.

edit to add: I have to leave for a while. Do what you can and post back with results, problems, or concerns.
A malware removal expert might see this topic, and one of them can continue to help you.
In order for you to be sure you are receiving qualified help, please read this, particularly paragraph 3. Even though it's in the Am I Infected? forum, it applies here with regards to instructions and who is helping you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

I don't have acess to another computer right now.
Thanks. I'm thinking abt reinstalling windows xp. what do ay'll think?
Thanks

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

If it were me, I would have reinstalled Windows by now. This issue has been on-going since April 18th, and there is still no resolution. Only you can decide whether to keep going or to format your computer. There comes a point when it's best to admit defeat and then start over. We can continue if you want, but you need to decide if the time it takes is worth it.
FWIW, if you had come back and said you couldn't get MBAM to run, I would have suggested either a repair install or a complete reinstall of Windows.
Should you decide to reinstall the OS and have questions or concerns, ask and we will help you.
If you can, back up everything you don't want to lose, including favorites folder and mail/address book if you use an email client for mail access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users