Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need more RAM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theeviltwin69

theeviltwin69

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Hi all. I am thinking about an upgrade of my RAM mostly because I am having a problem playing poker on Ultimate Bet. The game sometimes stall/freezes, after contacting support and sending them a bios file they said " I do not have enough available RAM" But I don't trust them, so I come to you guys first. Here is my info;

Toshiba satellite A105-s4384
Intel core2 centrino duo T5500@1.66ghz
RAM 1024mb
Video- Intel 945gm express

I just want to be sure I need it before I spend the $$$$. While I play I don't really use anything except a program called Holdem Manager a tracking program running POSGRE SQL.
I know I can go to 4gig but do I need to? I have gone to Kingston and Crucial who both make a 4g kit for it.
AVG 8
SpyDR
Threat Fire
Pctools Firewall+
XP sp3 media edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

You may not need 4GB. 2GB or 3GB would do well. The video card uses RAM as video memory, which decreases RAM before Windows even starts. More RAM would be a good idea. One other thing, after looking at the list of programs you've included, several of the programs overlap which can cause problems. AVG and Threat Fire both have virus protection, SpyDR and Threat Fire both have Spyware protection. To reclaim space and not cause conflicts you should reduce the number of security programs. More programs do not equal better security.

3939.png

#3 theeviltwin69

theeviltwin69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

You may not need 4GB. 2GB or 3GB would do well. The video card uses RAM as video memory, which decreases RAM before Windows even starts. More RAM would be a good idea. One other thing, after looking at the list of programs you've included, several of the programs overlap which can cause problems. AVG and Threat Fire both have virus protection, SpyDR and Threat Fire both have Spyware protection. To reclaim space and not cause conflicts you should reduce the number of security programs. More programs do not equal better security.

Do you have any recomendations on where to buy and what maker of ram?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

This is your memory specification from Toshiba: 1024MB (Min)/4096MB (Max), with 512MB, 1024MB or 2048MB PC4200 or PC5300 DDR2 memory modules.

That said, memory is cheap so get as much as you can afford. There are a number of choices for you, such as these:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
CORSAIR ValueSelect 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

3939.png

#5 Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

yes you should go for more ram
choose between 2/3/4 gb ram as per your budget
normally the more you buy,the better it ios

0 user(s) are reading this topic