Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Wireless Network Connection or Icon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 listee

listee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

Hi,

I have no wireless connection icon and no View Wireless Connections button. Before yesterday when my monitor began putting out an error ("No Signal Input, Check Video Cable"), everything worked fine. I am in the process of "cleaning" the comptuer of old unused files and the like. I have used ccleaner, revo uninstaller, spyware blaster, spybot, avast (uninstalled avg), and the good old delete key in this process. Even through this, the pc has behaved perfectly until my fix for the monitor included moving the pc => I unplugged everything and moved the pc a couple of feet over and replugged all (I needed to move it anyway, but also needed to check for loose plugs and such). After restarting from cold, I have not had a connection.

I am running Win XP Pro SP 2 and have a SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter in my desktop computer. In the device manager, nothing is in error and "this device is working properly". The adapter Location reads "PCI bus 0, device 4, function 0" if this means something important. The device is enabled. I have a LinkSys Wireless-G router. The lights are on for power, DMZ, WLAN, and Ethernet 1 and 2. My ipconfig results are:

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : me
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-62-A3-12
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.180
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.25.5.150

I have another desktop that will not connect to the Internet but shows my wireless network connection in the list as connected with anywhere from "very good" to "excellent" connectivity. It has a different brand of card and normally connects to the network. I have a laptop that is working as expected, as usual, and connected to the network with "excellent" signal strength.

I have tried the following with no luck:

Turn off, wait 5 minutes, reboot.

Uninstalled the current driver, downloaded and installed a new SiS driver from here: packard bell site (did a restore point beforehand and rolled back after the driver update didn't seem to work).

Added the physical address listed above and the wireless mac address to the MAC address filter list. Silly to do?

I have no expertise in this issue and would like some advice as to what to do next. More information needed? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 listee

listee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

I'm still having the same issue -- no connection, no icon. The monitor is still a bit grumpy, going out after a few hours of being on. Any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users