Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Team SteLLar - what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

hey guys, this is my first website I have done (well, first hardcore website other than geocities or something). I ust used a template and modified...well, everything in it lol. About 70% of the template had been modified. So I was wondering what you all think about it, negative feedback is welcome as well. It is still a working piece, I need to upload article templates, specific members pages, and work on forums, and privacy policy and all that good stuff.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: forgot the link haha www.teamstellar.net

Edited by Box In A Bag, 18 April 2009 - 11:48 AM.

Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

The only issue I have is with your choice of font colors and background color. Light gray text on a darker gray background causes the text to wash out, and makes it hard to read. And since you are only using an 11 point font, the gradation between the font and the background makes it appear like a 9 point font. In other words, it is hard to read. Lighten the font color, and pull it up to 12 point. People do not like to spend time on websites that are hard to read.

#3 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

haha that was my concern as well, I liked how it looked but I was afraid that I may have issues such as that. Thank you!
Posted Image

#4 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

couple of things

from my perspective the grey text in the blue box at the bottom needs to be lightened a bit as well, its not unreadable, but takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to it

also, at the bottom you will want to fix the footer:

Copyright 2008 Security Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use | Privvacy Policy

the terms and privacy (or privvacy :D) policy links dont work, and im sure you probably wont need them for this kind of site

other than that it seems to flow quite well together
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

Looks pretty good.

I would make the main background black.

The links (home, about us...) look cut off at the bottom. Not sure if that's what you're after.
I would make those bigger, and centerize "home" and "forums"....or spread them out so all boxes are the same size.

I would make the top logo bigger.

the very last thing: (Privvacy Policy ) is spelled wrong.....one V! It's also 2009.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#6 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

haha yeh the privvacy policy thing was the first thing I noticed when I got the template. Strange though, it should have been fixed...hmmm Ill double check everything. Thanks for the feedback guys!
Posted Image

#7 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hey guys, I have a new question, I am trying to alter a png file in the .fla for my banner for the website. This should be pretty easy, just right click and edit with... photoshop. However, when I click to open it i receive an error stating that the file does not exist.

\ \2.png

that is the directory it is looking in, I can not find the directory at all either. Soooo if it doesnt exist, how is it that it is receiving a image???
Posted Image

#8 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

to much flash for me, what if i used my ipod touch to view it? the header and the navigation bar would all be gone! a similar nav bar can be made with javascript (not JAVA) and CSS.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#9 aznkidzx

aznkidzx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Do not include Flash. Use total html and javascript.

#10 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

i disagree about not using flash at all, i just think don't base 80% of your website on it.

Flash does have it's uses - whatever they are...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#11 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

I think Flash is a good choice for Nav FWIW, with the caveat of mobile devices already mentioned (and it's not really that accessible, but it's functionality is pretty awesome so you can work around that)

Anyway, a few comments:

I agree with other posters about the font colors and sizes. Makes it difficult to read and drags down the rest of the build IMO.

Some paragraphs are just big chunks and might benefit from being broken down a little more. NY Times recently got an award for its copy so may be worth a look as an example.

It looks like your Nav headings text is a gradient. It does look 'cut off' at the base. May need adjusting to lighten the base or it could be another formatting issue, not sure.

Not sure about the mouse_over color on the main headings. Looks a little out of place. An outer or inner glow (or something similar) might work better.

I'm being picky as you asked for feedback, overall I think its pretty good. It works well and the audio for page transition is well suited to the content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users