Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Foxit question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

I recently down loaded Foxit and dumped Adobe, so far Foxit is great with one exception. I am having problems with PDF files using my Firefox browser. Any ireas appreciated.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have no problems whatsoever
Check your Firefox add-ons. Maybe one is conflicting
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Perhaps if you could describe the nature of the problem, we could provide more help.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

It turns out that it is site specific, I am now doubting that it is a Foxit issue. The site I need info from is Kodak, I can not view their PDF files. In fact in another area I posted about my problem with my web cam, not being able to get at the stuff on the Kodak site.

Thanks Guys!!!

Phil

#5 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

I just tried and successfully d/l'd a kodak pdf on their site with FX 3.0.8 and Foxit. you said you just installed Foxit recently. Did you remember to go into your Start, Set Program Access and Defaults, and tell Windows to use Foxit now for all PDF files? Maybe that's all you need to do. Have to be logged in with Admin Privileges to do this, btw.

Edited by buttoni, 18 April 2009 - 01:43 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

It does not show in Access & Defaults, I am running 3.0.8 so now I am a bit more stumped.

Phil

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

I removed and reloaded Foxit, then went on the Kodak site. When I try to get the PDF for 323 xp Problems I get an applet saying format error: not a PDF or corrupted. Same thing I was getting before!

Phil

#8 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Sorry OldPhil. I was having a senior moment when I first posted. What can I say?? :thumbsup: It's not in Set Prgm Access & Defaults. My mistake. Let's do it right this time. Go to Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types tab, scroll down to the PDF entry in the list of file types. Below in the details area, if Foxit is not showing by the "Opens with", click the Change button and then you should see Foxit listed in the installed programs choices (that is if it's installed properly). BTW, to be sure it is installing correctly, you might run the installer off-line with your security applications turned off briefly. Sometimes they can get in the way of a clean program install. Then turn them back on.

See if that fixes your problem on the Kodak site. If not post back and maybe another member will have some other options for you to try. Might be something unique to your system. I've had absolutely no problems with Foxit browsing with FX in WinXP SP3. I just love Foxit as it's so lean on resources.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

Ok! I removed Foxit, disabled my connection, shut down firewall and anti virus. Reinstalled Foxit checked the folder options it shows Foxit as my PDF reader, went to the link above and still N/G.

#10 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Well, I'll have to defer to someone more knowledgeable to help at this point. I just can't imagine what is causing your problem. I installed Foxit 2 years ago and have had no problems with it opening any pdf's. Sorry I can't be of further help but will post back if I have any other ideas. Hope one of our experts jumps in and picks up where I'm leaving off.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

Well, I'll have to defer to someone more knowledgeable to help at this point. I just can't imagine what is causing your problem. I installed Foxit 2 years ago and have had no problems with it opening any pdf's. Sorry I can't be of further help but will post back if I have any other ideas. Hope one of our experts jumps in and picks up where I'm leaving off.

Except for the Kodak site is is fine I really lie how quick it is.

Thanks to all again!

Phil

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Can you provide a link?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users