Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Module Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jall65

jall65

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

I have been working on my Niece's computer for a while and it has been acting weird. It works fine some of the time then freeze and then at start up it would hang during halfway then other times it would be fine. Today I burned a Memtest-86 to check for memory problems, On start up on the diagnostic scan it's saying:

L1 Cache: 128k
L2 Cache: 512k

She has 2 512 memory sticks. Is this telling me that the top one is bad?

I will post the results after the pass is complete.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

L1 and L2 (Level1 and Level2) cache are CPU cache - very fast piece of memory built in the CPU itself. It is not RAM.

#3 jall65

jall65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

I tried a scan computer using Memtest-86 and get an error saying: Unexpected Interrupt-Halting CPu0

I am showing 2 errors described below
MemMap: 400k Iter:1 CPU_Sel: Single Errors: 2

I do not know what exactly someone needs to dissect the problem. Tell me what you need and I will try to provide it.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Not sure exactly what those errors are but it means the memory has failed the test. Try it again with only 1 stick to determine if one or both are faulty.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 jall65

jall65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

How many passes do I need to scan?

I have tries taking one module out and then scanning no errors. I took that one out and scanned it again with the one I removed with no errors. I put them back in and scanned and got another clean scan. Then computer started hanging up again right after start up. I scanned it again and got the same error as before.

Will bad memory sticks cause intermittent freezing and lock ups

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

What kind of motherboard does it have and what kind of memory (looking for brand name and model numbers for both). The timings may need to be relaxed or there is a setting that has been changed or needs to be changed. There could be a few settings that could cause this, and yes memory problems can cause the computer to freeze. Is this a new problem with existing hardware, or after a recent upgrade?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 jall65

jall65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

What kind of motherboard does it have and what kind of memory (looking for brand name and model numbers for both). The timings may need to be relaxed or there is a setting that has been changed or needs to be changed. There could be a few settings that could cause this, and yes memory problems can cause the computer to freeze. Is this a new problem with existing hardware, or after a recent upgrade?

My niece was having problems with the mentioned computer. Acer Aspire Laptop 5050-3371. Her original problem was her computer was full of spyware, trojans, viruses. I removed these with the help of Bleeping Computer forum. After removal of these the hard drive had errors that wouldn't fix. I reformatted her hard drive and it worked wonderful until it started freezing and acting weird. I did change from Vista to XP when I reformatted the hard drive. All the internal parts is the same. I thought the hard drive was bad but it checked out fine.

ram name is lynix 512mb 2rx16 pc2-5300-555-12 . they are two of these.

How do I find out the name of the motherboard? all i get is a generic name off of the acer web site.

Edited by jall65, 22 April 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#8 jall65

jall65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Okay I attached all the information that contains the computers information. see attatchment

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.txt   51.99KB   21 downloads

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Thank you for posting that very complete system log. :thumbsup: So far it appears the laptop is running pretty hot
Hardware monitor
-----------------------------------------------------

AMD Turion 64 Mobile MK-38 hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 60C (139F) [0x6D] (Core #0)

Please download a free copy of Speedfan and see if the temperatures are the same.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 jall65

jall65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

HDO- 35c
Temp1- 48c
Core- 53c

That seems a little hot on the core.. could the heatsink be bad?

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:16 AM

Could be clogged with dust/dirt the fans may be dirty and or one could have gone bad. I would take it apart and have a look inside.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users