Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with new Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlueEyedFox

BlueEyedFox

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

I'm having some problems and could really use some help.

I used to have problems with my old ATI Raedon 3850 where I could move side to side and the graphics would get like blocky and distorted. Now on a even better card its still giving me problems. It doesnt seem to be all games. I do good on COD:WAW but on San Andreas (Frame Limited Removed), Godfather 2 and such I sitll get it and its driving me crazy. I cant figure out what the culprit is, I cant be drivers because i had this problem on another card, i've formatted plenty of times. I run a 1680X1050 display and one strange thing I noticed though was COD: WAW told me it had to "reset my settings automaticly" or somthign and changed my resolution to 1024X1080 or something but now I don't know. I don't think its my monitor, Iv'e had it since late 2007 and its the only comptuer part I can hoenstly say hasnt gave me problems.

I honestly just want to game without these problems, and I switched for this reason. Can any of you tell me what it might be?

Edit: Oh and I OCed my processor ( Just raised FSB) from 2.4 to 2.8 could that be causing any problems because I honestly didnt notice these problems until recently.

3DMark Score: 11754
SM2.0 Score: 5091
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 4393
CPU Score: 4486

It was 1024x1080 or w/e on default for 3dmark too

I don't think this is actually a good score but I don't know much about 3D mark but I do know my FPS seems to be very jumpy from 20-60 frames never steady.

I swear this card was running find when I first got it now I feel somethings just not right and its not performing how it should. Running at 75% Fan instead of 40 default

My new card is... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130446

Oh and when i OC the card It bugs out and gives me a weird check pattern before my computer freezes up and it goes to stock settings and I have to restart.

Edited by BlueEyedFox, 18 April 2009 - 12:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

What are the rest of your computer specs? Include make of your power supply, the total wattage of it, and the amount of amps on the +12V rail(s).

It may be a heat issue. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ This program, coretemp, will tell you the temperatures of your processor cores. Let us know what they are at idle, and while gaming. http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Riva...nload-6867.html This program, Rivatuner, will tell you the temperature of your graphics card. Let us know what the temperature is at idle, and while gaming.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 BlueEyedFox

BlueEyedFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341002

Power supply ^^ Recently upgraded

and the temp got pretty high once in the 80''s but i brought ti down. I keep the fan at 75 (as of yesterday) and I get 40c-50c idle and 60c's maxish.

I also undid my over clock and it did not help. I'm still trying to gt a video but Fraps sucks on my PC it just freezes up and bleep when recording.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

The power supply is more than adequate.

The temperatures are fine too. 80C is a bit high like you said, but if it's staying in the 60's now, that is actually pretty cool.

I would scan to see if your ram is bad. Run memtest86.com for a few hours. It will scan your ram for errors. You will need to download the iso file and burn it as a disc image to a cd. You will then need to boot off the disc. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/ This is a guide to help you with the process if you're unsure.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 BlueEyedFox

BlueEyedFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

Isnt there something free and can you report tutorial, The link you sent is dead.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

Memtest86 is free to download, the CD they show has some neat stuff but you only need to download the program and burn it to CD.
1)Click on the "Free Download" section and then Download the Windows (ZIP) version.
2)Once Downloaded Unpack it to your desktop (you can delete the ISO once you're sure you've burned it properly and the CD is working).
3)Follow the "How to Burn an ISO tutorial" and burn the ISo to CD
4)Reinsert the CD after burning and Reboot the Computer (make sure the BIOS is set to Boot from CD).
5) Run Memtest86 to check for memory errors.

BTW you haven't metioned what you replaced the ATI 3850 with.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 19 April 2009 - 11:05 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

I talked to him on xfire yesterday, and I believe he needs more ram. His page file usage became really high while gaming. 2gb of ram, even while using xp, may not be enough especially with a lot of background programs. His new card is a Nvidia GTX 285.

#8 BlueEyedFox

BlueEyedFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

Ran Memtest, No errors.

I'm going to show you guys on a video of what it looks like, I cant believe its actually the RAM if I have times when I play with over 512 MB free and it has still been like that

It wouldnt show on FRAPS, Coudl just be the fact that FRAPS is always buggy with FPS for me. I used my Camera to record this (Cant get my HD Camcorder to charge)

As you can cleary see the graphics are going insane against these edges, Any idea?

Edited by BlueEyedFox, 23 April 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Problem solved!

I talked to him through xfire again, and after watching his video, I realized only the edges of objects were messing up. Once vertical sync was enabled in each game, it solved the problem.

So if anyone else is having this problem, turn vertical sync on :thumbsup: . Remember though, it will limit your FPS to what ever your monitor's refresh rate is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users