Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem with DVD drive... or maybe oooops I did it again...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cypisss

cypisss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

Hello everyone...

Problem is pretty weird - might be, that there is more than one actually.

One fine day my computer stopped playing burnt media files directly from DVD's - playback hangs up any application that is chosen - Media PLayer, vplayer, winamp - you name it... On the other hand - original software - like games - work just fine.

Also - I discovered I cannot burn DVD's with Nero nor with regular Windows XP burning option - again - nero crashes, windows explorer hangs up...

A hint? - because my firefox started slowing down and a while ago I had a virus problem (thanx to you resolved) and, because I had my anti-virus software down for a week or two - I manualy deleted a few files with suspicious names from the windows catalogue... ooops i did it again?!?!?!?!?

maybe I deleted a DVD driver or something???? Sorry for being such a dork...

HEEELP!

Edited by cypisss, 18 April 2009 - 09:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

Sometimes programs, such as Roxio, can actually cause issues with the reading and burning of cds and dvds. Try closing out of any of those extra programs and see if that helps.

Try going into device manager, control panel, system, hardware tab (skip this step in vista), device manager. Go under DVD/CD drives and find your cd drive. Now, right click it and click uninstall. Now, restart your computer. Windows should automatically reinstall the drivers for it. If not, go back to device manager, and click action, then scan for hardware changes. It should automatically find your cd drive and reinstall the drivers. You may need to restart your computer again.

Let us know how it goes!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 cypisss

cypisss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Doctor doctor it's getting worse!!!

I have reinstalled the drivers - and my drive doesn't burn dvd's anyway... But dr. House - we have a new symptom!
My computer started reseting randomly every now and then - that was two days ago - now it resets almost as soon as I start it. If the message is cut short - means it just did ;)

Anyways - I think I might have got on to something:

in control panel/ admin tools/events/security (translated from polish...) there seems some Microsoft Authentification Package beeps a "wrong password or user name" event identifyer 529... system is 100% legal. REALLY! :thumbsup:

another hint: panel/admin tools/events/system: service control manager sends error 7026: cannot load drivers for system start (translation again): Fips, intelppm, KLIF

I have also found a : system error 1003 category (102)...

And again - and again - seems to be the reason for resets...

My idea - don't know if it makes sense - but I will try anyway: I have ZoneAlarm 2008 that wouldn't update for no reason - so I tried to update manualy copying a register file from peer-2-peer... stupid, I know... so I have uninstalled Zone in safe mode...

Will see what the night brings :flowers:

C ya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users