Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copying makes computer twitch; 2 svchost errors on startup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 amitaiz

amitaiz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:54 AM

Hello,

Please help with the following problem.

SYMPTOM I:
After cleaning many infections using AVG and spybot, I started getting two consecutive error messages at startup (immediately after logging in - I had to dismiss both for the desktop to be fully loaded):

1. "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly. and then try again. To search for a file..."

When I click "OK" another error message appears:

2. "Could not load or run 'C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe' specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry."

after clicking OK the computer seemed to be running normally. Yesterday I noticed two other things which made me very concerened.

SYMPTOM II:
When I copy large amounts of data (I was trying to backup my computer*) the copy process is interrupted, the desktop disappears and is then reloaded.
A similar thing happens when I open the Start menu, and right click on my computer (or some folder inside it) and choose "open": the desktop disappears and reappears, but the folder is not opened.

Needless to say neither AVG nor spybot caught this. Attached is the DDS.txt file.

Thank you very much for your help...
Amitai

* After a while I managed to backup most of what I wanted, but it was hard to make sure, so I created backup images of my hard drives with DriveImage-XML.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users