Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpySherriff

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 computerfailure

computerfailure

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

Ok, so I discovered that a program called spy sherriff decided to download itself to my computer and has completely messed up alot of stuff, including but not limited to my spybot. does anyone know how to get rid of it? I have already tried uninnstalling it, deleting it, spybot, virus scan, everything I can think of, and I am completely unable to rid my computer of it. I have windows xp pro, and I really don't want to have to reformat my computer to fix it. Thanks so much.

Edited by computerfailure, 19 June 2005 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:20 PM

One of the problems with Spy Sheriff is that it's installed by a trojan, and you have to successfully remove the trojan first, then you can proceed to uninstalling Spy Sheriff from Add/Remove Programs.

Here's some information on Spy Sheriff.

You might try getting rid of it with Ad-Aware, or running an online Trend Micro House Call scan or an online Panda scan. Chances are you might also want to post a log in the HijackThis! forum here at Bleeping to see if you have any other nasties lurking.

Ad-Aware has been updated to take care of both the dropper trojan and the Faux Spyware programs that it installs, so if you don't have it, I recommend you get it and make sure it's updated. (Assuming you can still get on the internet.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users