Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Crashes/Bsod

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Queedon

Queedon

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:32 AM

Okay, firstly. i had a very active post about my graphics card not running at top speed. Ive accepted that is because my CPU is bottlenecking it.

Had lots of virus's the other night. idk what happened and then this morning when i woke up, had a blue screen on my comp...wouldnt fully boot after restart would stop halfway on the windows loading screen and restart my comp...

So lacking patience in the matter i reformated. just got done actually :thumbsup:

Now randomly i get a Quick flash of a bsod to quick to even read and then comp restarts...

First why does it flash so quick without me even being able to read it?

Second, how could i have errors already after such a fresh reformat?

Ecs PA1 MVP mobo(i know not best brand plan to get a new one somtime soon)

Intell P4 3.2ghz CPU

Geforce 9800GTX + graphics card.

I grabbed all the drivers and stuff i would need and put em on a flash drive for quick coping before i even did anything on the comp.

got all the ones available to me from ECS on the boards page, I have most recent bios listed by them for the board. witch sadly is from 2006 =/

So what could be causing theese errors?

I do notice tho in my device manager it says im missing SM bus controller?

What is this, and how could i get it?

is it even important?

If you guys dont mind helping/giving me advice thanks!

i could go pay 30 bucks at a local shop for them to diagnose the problem but i feel that isnt right when im comfortable tweaking with things myself. just need help discovering the problem to begin with. thanks in advance

Q

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

To keep the computer from automatically rebooting: Right Click My Computer->Properties->Advanced(tab)->Startup and Recovery Settings->Uncheck Automatically Restart . The next time it BSOD's write down the message for us.

The SM Bus Controller is the motherboards chipset. I was having trouble finding the chipset drivers for your motherboard, but if you have the disk that came with the motherboard, it should have them. This very well could be the cause of the BSOD's you're receiving.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Queedon

Queedon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

ok, unchecked that auto thing. if it happens again anytime soon ill post that message for you guys,

And yeah that makes sense the chip set causing it. i mean that is pretty important no?

ill find the disk and get that off it hopfully and let you guys know how it goes

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

Yes they are very important the chip set drivers instructs Windows how to communicate with the Hardware. Windows Has default drivers which in some cases work very well, but these are only designed to allow you access to install the proper drivers. This is why all computer manufactures include a recovery partition or CD's with drivers integrated in the installation (It also makes recovery allot faster).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Queedon

Queedon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

Wasnt able to locate anything on the disk with the mobo for the SM buss thing? Any ideas?

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:37 AM

There weren't any drivers for the chipset? Can you list us the different drivers the disk has?

I checked both the ATI site, and the ECS website, and neither had drivers for that chipset. When I do a google search for that chipset, it only brings up links related to that motherboard. It seems like this was the only motherboard to use that chipset.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 Queedon

Queedon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

I clicked Explore disk, heres what i get.

Couple folders with the following...

IDE
LAN
Peripheral
RAID
Sound
User guide
Utility
VGA

#8 Queedon

Queedon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

I think the IDE one might be it, but when i install it, it doesnt do anything. i kinda just go throught click click and click coming up to a Eula then i click yes and then it just says install compleate instantly later with no like actual working process of it installing

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

IDE is the type of connection for your CD/DVD drive or Hard drive. Newer motherboards and DVD/Hard drives use SATA.

I would try the VGA. If the motherboard has integrated graphics, which yours doesn't, the chipset is related to them. If not, try utilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users