Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

administration rights

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bowmanlester

bowmanlester

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

....i had a microsoft tech lose my administraton rights, so as of now i am only a user on my own system...of cousre i called tech support with the ref # and they could not help me UNLESS i purchase a windows xp set up cd!!...i told the tech that it was one of your guys that got me in this situation to begin with so why cant you help me get out of this!!!....of course this was a great waste of time...so i am asking is their ANYONE out there that can help me to regain my administrative rights without having to break down and purchase set up cd???...OR i just may have to purchase a imac system from apple...thank u

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

hi bowmanlester
as your the only user on this computer you just need to go into the control panel and go to user accounts and change the setting to admin from there
let me know how you get on

Wilders Security Forum Admin
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

#3 Lon3sword

Lon3sword

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

No matter what you do, don't purchase another setup CD from Microsoft. How exactle did the microsoft tech took away your administration rights?

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

There should be an admin account with full rights that was created when Windows was installed but it is usually only available when booting into safe mode. When safe mode starts, you should see an admin account and your account. Select the admin account and then go to control panel, user accounts. There you should be able to set up accounts and change the rights on existing accounts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users