Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

The other day my xp crashed for no reason. The power went out and then it just stopped working. Took it apart and found that the hard drive crashed. I've got an old old hard drive that would suffice for now. Refomatted it because it had windows 3.1 on it and it wouldn't load correctly. Once it was formatted windows 98se was installed because the hard drive is WAY small and it just barely fits on it. So then got it going and then the internet wouldn't work becase, to make a long story short, a driver was missing that I had to find off the internet from another computer and transfer in onto the formatted drive. Now that I've got half of what I want to use, I can't figure out the rest (the internet and some music). I can't get any sound to work for the life of me. Using the genric windows media player...cause that's all that will fit...it says it can't find the hardware to play the file or the file's missing or some bulljive like that. So i've been trying to get the sound card/drivers/anything to do with sound to make it work and still nothing. The sound card is attached to the motherboard so I can't take it out to see what model number and all that fun stuff is. All i can see on it is foxconn (which i've tried looking on their website for a driver and no luck. I've gone to sound blaster and dloaded a bunch of drivers from them and still no luck. I've gone into control panel and added all the creatve sound cards that I figured might work and still no avail. And for a couple of drivers i try intalling it says that the best driver is already installed...but it still doesn't work!! I've removed all of the sound cards that I've tried and now it's saying there's no hardware. Also in add hardware i've got some things with the yellow exclaimations on them (PCI communication device, PCI multimedia audio device, PCI system management bus, and unknown device) I've tried doing things with those and still nothing. I've been trying to get the sound to work for at least 8 combined hours and maybe even more. Now at this point I have no idea where to go and am about to throw the computer out the windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated because as I said, i've run dry out of ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

Download and run EVEREST Home Edition. That will tell you the model number of your motherboard so you can get the proper drivers for your chipset. If you want some help post back with that info.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the help.
I got everest goin and was looking around but it's lookin like i'm gonna be needing some help. I wasn't quite sure where to find the model number of the mother board so i took this report from everest.
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1600 MHz (16 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Pendleton D845PT (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845D
System Memory 256 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (03/14/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)
Hopefully that will show it but I'm thinking it's not going to
Where at can I find the model number for it?
Also here's the chipset info if this might be needed for anything
[ South Bridge: Intel 82801BA ICH2 ]

South Bridge Properties:
South Bridge Intel 82801BA ICH2
Revision / Stepping 05 / B5
Package Type 360 Pin EBGA
Package Size 2.3 cm x 2.3 cm
Core Voltage 1.8 V

AC'97 Audio Controller:
Audio Controller Type Intel 82801BA(M) ICH2
Codec Name Analog Devices AD1885
Codec ID 41445360h
S/PDIF Output Not Supported

Chipset Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

When I tried going to the driver download (that's shown above) I wasn't sure which chipset I need to be looking at, if any at all.
Thanks again for the help.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

Your mobo is a Intel Pendleton D845PT. AC'97 Audio Controller is the standard Intel (and many other) driver for your sound. You can get your drivers here. Number 4 is what your looking for. These all apply to 98SE, so don't use them if you get XP back on that machine.

Depending on whether you have XP Home or Pro you can go here and pick your OS and get your mobo drivers for the time you get XP going again. Bookmark the driver page or download and burn what you feel you need. I prefer to use the mobo makers drivers rather than let the OS run things.

Edited by Leurgy, 19 June 2005 - 06:30 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:12 PM

alright, so i loaded that it seems like i'm getting closer but still no sound. when trying to open wmp or even sound recorder, it says there's no sound device installed. then it says to to go add new hardware to add one and in there i notice a yellow ! on the PCI multimedia audio device, i know that this is just the standard one but now what?
thanks for the help

Edited by Fireworkman04, 20 June 2005 - 04:12 PM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

Download number 6 in the link where you got the Audio Driver. Disable any running programs and go to Start>Run and navigate to the downloaded .exe file and run it. Cross your fingers. :thumbsup:

#7 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:12 PM

......still nothing
was it the driver I dloaded earlier cause i'm thinking i need a driver to get it working.
i dunno???

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:15 PM

was it the driver I dloaded earlier

If you mean the drivers you describe in your first post, its possible that they are interfering. You can try removing everything under Multimedia in System Devices and running the driver found in 4 in the Intel link.

#9 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

yeah, still no luck.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

What is showing in Device Manager now?

#11 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

it's showing pci comm device and pci mult. auido device.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

The communication device could be a modem. They usually have a sound component. I don't see any Intel drivers for that. Do you know what type of modem that is? It may be interfering.

Go to MultiMedia in Control Panel and see if its set to use any available device under the Audio tab. Check the Midi tab and play with those settings. Open sounds in Control Panel and try playing some sample sounds.

The pci multimedia audio device indicates that you have a sound card as well as onboard sound. Where are the speakers plugged in? The onboard sound needs the speakers plugged in near the majority of the connections rather than into the horizontal slots at the back of the machine.

Edited by Leurgy, 21 June 2005 - 06:36 PM.

#13 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:47 PM

in the multimedia i can't do nothing. everything is locked as far as audio and midi. however under midi i can change it to single instr. to multiple. Under cd music all i can change is the music volume. In the devices tab under audio devices there isn't anything under it and when right clicking on it and go to properties it says "there are no devices of this class installed in your system.
Speakers are plugged into the back of the comp.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:52 PM

Speakers are plugged into the back of the comp.

I'm aware of that. Is there more than one area to plug them in? If you have onboard sound and a sound card there will be. Also they can be plugged into some modems, so there may be three places. Did you look?

#15 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

yeah, there are 3 places to plug the speakers into: mic, speakers, and line in.

Also, would it be possible to make the crashed hard drive has a slave drive and take files from there, assuming that it crashed in a boot up part of the drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users