Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

yahoo re-direct

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

My wife's laptop is having an issue wherein anytime she uses any search engine (yahoo.com, yahoo toolbar, google.com so far), and clicks on one of the hits, gets re-directed to a completely random site. Clicking the browser's "back" button brings the IE page to whatever the original search hit was.

This seems to me to be some kind of malware/trojan issue. The problem is that whenever she tries to access this forum, or this site in general, gets nothing but a blank screen and then IE freezes.

Sometimes when IE freezes, an error message pops up that says "Generic Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem" (or something very similar.

I have no idea how to even try to fix something with me posting on one computer and her laptop being the one with the issue, but any kind of help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Edit - Also, I tried to access mcafee's site, and that came up blank as well. No idea if that's just a coincidence that she can't access either this site or an anti-virus site, but I figure it helps.

Edited by tsquared56, 17 April 2009 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users