Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHAT IS UP WITH MY SYSTEM?? IS IT VIRUS/MALWARE RELATED???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BadAngel

BadAngel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hi...I hope someone can help me with this one: My pc was infected with Conficker in late Jan/ early Feb. I system recovered, disinfected, and scanned with malwarebytes, AVG, Superantispyware, as well as Mcafee til everything came up clean. All I had connected was the router, cable modem, and Dell 720 printer or Brother MFC420CN--I'd alternate. Before the virus was discovered, both printers began printing blank pages, when they were working fine before.

The pc is a dinosaur--a Compaq Presario and it's running on Windows XP SP3. It is connected to my cable modem and router. My daughter's laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1200, also running WinXP SP3, was also infected, disinfected, and scanned til everything read ok. The pc's browser was ie; my browser of choice is now chrome or Opera. The laptop now browses with Firefox.

Early last month, some of the same symptoms crept back--my security programs couldn't be opened/disappeared; ie was gone, etc...i was unable to start in safe mode and shortly after Windows couldn't be read/found at all. When first trying to start in safe mode, hal.dll couldn't be found...then more files couldn't be found...then finally nothing.

Disinfected...Ran all the malware removal tools again; applied all patches; etc...til scans came up clean.

Decided to reinstall printer...updated drivers...same problem...printer "printed" blank pages. Ink is ok; settings ok... That was 2 days ago.

Today my desktop icons are a lot larger and my system is running sooo slowly! I tried starting in Safe mode, but was unable to: hal.dll couldn't be found. I am able to start up in regular mode, though.

I need some real guidance as to how to proceed...What's up with my system? And what's the best way to fix it??

I am so aggravated with this, it's not even funny!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnboy7

johnboy7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

I am sorry that your computer is bewitched !!
Do you know how to open the cover of your computer ??
I am suggesting that ;
1. You unplug the computer power from the back .
2. Open the case to expose the main board and the battery.
3.Be carefull and press the little tab on the battery and let it pop-up enough so it doesn't touch the socket .
4.Clean the battery with alcohol and a cotton cloth .
5.Put battery back in the computer BUT dont touch the battery with your fingers,our fingers always have some oil
on them.
Plug the computer back in the wall and turn on.
Press F1 or delete and boot into BIOS.
check that your hard drives are correct and your boot sequence is right and press F10 to save.

Many people get a virous in their BIOS and don'tever know it.
Good Luck

#3 BadAngel

BadAngel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

I wasn't aware that one could get a BIOS virus, johnboy7.

I will try to do as you suggested.

Thanks. Have a good evening!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users